IFish Fishing Forum banner

Downriggers - Scotty versus Cannon

12K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  BARCHASER 
#1 ·
I am looking at getting a couple of downriggers and want some advice. I think I want electric and the extendable booms. But the cost is a pretty good hit.

Has anyone fished both and could provide a recommendation would be great? Any other brands I should consider?

Also would like some advice on electric versus manual - is it worth the expense?

#5 · (Edited)
In my opinion, it's just like the ol' Ford vs. Chevy debate. Some people will swear by Cannons while others will say Scotty all the way. I have used both personally, and you cannot go wrong with either.

Originally, Scotty electrics were superior to Cannon because they had a faster retrieval rate. But, Cannon has recently introduced their new HS (high speed) line, so there is no competitive advantage for Scotty anymore. Both Scotty and Cannon have telescoping booms. The electric Cannons (Mag 10, Mag 20, and Digi-Troll models) are available with Positive Ion Control while Scotty downriggers do not. But, you can purchase a Pro-Troll or Scotty Black Box to deal with that. If you are stacking rods on your downrigger, the Scotty has the advantage of the auto-stop beads that you can put on the cable to shut off the motor when your clips come up so that you won't lose your stacking releases. Scotty downriggers also have the tilt-up option. Cannons can have the tilt up option, but you have to purchase a special mount that Cannon sells. I think that Scotty has a better warranty that Cannon. Scotty is lifetime (for the original owner only) and Cannon is limited lifetime.

As for the electric vs. manual issue, it is really, really nice just to flick a switch to retrieve all the wire, especially if you are fishing by yourself or if you take people out and you tend to all the downriggers. It all comes down to how much you value convenience and how much you want to spend. I've used manuals for many years because that is how I learned to downrigger fish. However, it isn't until recently that I switched over to electrics, and I wish that I bought them sooner! I think electrics are worth the extra money.

I'm sure there is more that I am forgetting, but that should get you off on the right foot. :)

#9 ·
Scottys are lifetime for who ever owns them, it does not matter who bought them. And you can buy extra belts and such from just about any store.

Here in BC, Scotty is the number one downrigger. Reasonable priced, reliable and excellent warranty

SS

#12 ·
I am looking at getting a couple of downriggers and want some advice. I think I want electric and the extendable booms. But the cost is a pretty good hit.

Has anyone fished both and could provide a recommendation would be great? Any other brands I should consider?

Also would like some advice on electric versus manual - is it worth the expense?

You might re-consider your choice of extendable booms. I was talked into buying the 60" boom on my Scotty. Even with the off shore bracket on my boat,I've never needed the 60" of boom. For that matter,I've never even extended the boom at all.

I could have saved some pretty serious cash if I hadn't bought the extendable boom.

#13 ·
Guy like scotties because they are cheap. Alot of the guys on this board that rag on the cannons have never fished the nice cannon electrics. I couldnt tell if you the what's nicer between the Cannon Mag 5's or the scotties electric and I really dont care.

Some thing's you should know...

1) The scotty's are not faster. They are slower. 235fpm for the scotty and 250 fpm for the Cannon.

2) The rotating bases on the Cannon's are light years ahead of the tip up bases on the scotties. ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE A EXTENDED BOOM!

3) Look them over in person and decide for yourself which unit seems better built. It's easy to see.

#14 ·
One thing that hasnt been mentioned. Canons have to be sent away for service. But at least where I live, Scottys can be serviced locally w/o the hassle and expense of sending it away. That, the warranty, and a better price at my local dealer made me go for the Scotty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.