IFish Fishing Forum banner

what should I do after catching salmon?

12K views 27 replies 22 participants last post by  Silver Hilton 
#1 Ā·
What is the proper way to care for salmon after it is caught to insure the best quality. Need advise. I see most fish have had some prep done while still out on the water. Thanks for any advise.

G
#7 Ā·
1. Land the fish as fast as you can
2. Bonk the fish
3. Bled fish head down in bucket of water
4. Gut and gill fish making sure all of the kidney is removed
5. Fill body cavity with ice and put into cooler surrounded with ice

Never punch a fish, this causes bruising and loss of quality.

#8 Ā·
2. Bonk the fish
3. Bled fish head down in bucket of water
4. Gut and gill fish making sure all of the kidney is removed
5. Fill body cavity with ice and put into cooler surrounded with ice

Never punch a fish, this causes bruising and loss of quality.

2. See if its a native
3. If fin is missing bonk the fish
4. Bled fish head down in bucket of water
5. Gut and gill fish making sure all of the kidney is removed
6. Fill body cavity with ice and put into cooler surrounded with ice

Just a suggestion though :laugh: :jester:

G
#9 Ā·
Actually your #2 should be #1, if you are fishing where harvesting wild fish is not allowed.

Yes, check to see if it has too many fins, if it does release it quickly and gently without taking it out of the water.

#12 Ā·
Giggle hysterically!

Then tell all the men in the boat that you have to be female to catch fish.

Jen

#15 Ā·
I haven't seen anyone mention my favorite:

7) call friend, magnify size of fish by random factor between 1.5 and 4 and gloat until he hangs up.

8) wonder why I have so few friends anymore...

#16 Ā·
or do like some people tie a rope thur the gills and drag it around all day in the sun that way it is half cooked then throw it in the back of your truck to dry out on the way home don't forget to stop and have a couple brews to give it time to finish cooking

#17 Ā·
All of you crack me up! :laugh: :cheers: Seriously though, bleeding and removing gills and kidney followed by packing in ice (shaved or slush if possible) with some salt is what is done comercially. Do not cut off the head and tail if possible water will make the meat lose color and flavor if it comes in dirrect contact. The belly cavity is different because it has a natural protective coating.

#19 Ā·
If your fishing up river on the Columbia a ways first check to make sure it's NOT a TULE chinook. Ya' know... get all excited, get 'er in the bag, beat it in the head, high fives all around, put it in the box.....A while later your beauty seems to be darker than when you netted it, and the extra strong smell, DOH!

Been there, done that!

Smj

#20 Ā·
Thanks for the advise and the comedy. You are cracking me up. :laugh: I will start bleeding them out and removing guts. I like the idea of packing body with ice. I still don't know how you expect me to get and 40 pound upriver bright head first in a bucket??? :bigshock: :smile:
would tip over for sure. Thanks again. :smile:

#26 Ā·
Yes, and be prepared for a flame fest on ifish of what you didn't do right. :smile:

Tee hee... I'm feeling naughty today. I better stop.

(Reply regrets already)

Jen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.