IFish Fishing Forum banner

Canned fish .. how long does it last?

29K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  caster79 
#1 ·
A friend of mine left a message for me last night.

"Hey, I was wondering how long this canned tuna lasts".

Mike, if you have any left, bring it by and I'll take care of it for you. I'll get him on the phone and talk to him tonight probably.

But I digress from the point. How long does home canned tuna last? I have seen some 3 years old that got hidden behind stuff on the shelf.

It tasted pretty good. I doubt if you could tell the difference. That is if the seal was good (vacuum still there when you open it) and it was stored out of direct sunlight or damp. If you follow the USDA recommended times and pressures the stuff will keep for 3 or 4 years from what I've seen, and then the seal on the lid goes away or the lid rusts out.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
Wife canned 36 pints of smoked springer this week, I doubt it will last a year so it isnt much of a worry :wink:

Seriously, I would think if the seal was good, it would last 3 years without to much trouble, but remember its only botulism if you are wrong.
:sick:

#3 ·
Canned food should be pretty much forever with a good seal. Anything that loses it's vacuum will be very very bad in a matter of days. Any can not under vacuum should be discarded. Do not open, smell or taste it. Smelling botulism bacteria tainted food can kill you.

In the 10 years I have been canning albacore, I have canned well over 1000 jars. I do not rotate stock. I currently have at least a gross left. 2 bad cans (not under vacuum) in the lot. None that tasted funny.

From the web (and you know you can believe anything written on the internet):

"Many canned products now have a "for best quality use by" date stamped on the top or bottom of the can. "Expiration" dates are rarely found on canned food.

Canned food has a shelf life of at least two years from the date of processing. Canned food retains its safety and nutritional value well beyond two years, but it may have some variation in quality, such as a change of color and texture. Canning is a high-heat process that renders the food commercially sterile. Food safety is not an issue in products kept on the shelf or in the pantry for long periods of time. In fact, canned food has an almost indefinite shelf life at moderate temperatures (75° F and below). Canned food as old as 100 years has been found in sunken ships and it is still microbiologically safe! We don't recommend keeping canned food for 100 years, but if the can is intact, not dented or bulging, it is edible."

KB

#6 ·
2001, it was a very good year. :grin: When can I drop that off Geek?

Jen, it went away yesterday. All the rusty, unloved jars from days of yore.

#10 ·
Geek - Vancouver?!

Are ya movin' the whole house? Or just the contents? :grin:

Pilar - Whew! I was worried there for a sec. :wink: Let's try some of that salmon though.
The great thing about botulism is that you know pretty much immediately. No waiting for days and wondering... :grin:

[ 06-04-2003, 03:56 PM: Message edited by: Pilar's Mate ]

#11 ·
Geek! Did you get your passport, that's a furrin country over there ya know. :shocked:

Maybe we can all take up a collection for ya. :whazzup: You know- all those pennies we get as change and never use in the USofA (Oregon).
You'll need about a billion of 'em to pay sales tax up there in "that" place. :grin:

That will be $1.23 with tax :hoboy:

#15 ·
Recently finished off some canned elk from '85. Remember when houses had "fruit rooms"? Generally somewhere cool where the canned fruit, veggies and venison went. Keep it cool and as long as the vacuum is good it usually won't kill you.

Geek is moving to the good side of the river, huh. There goes the neighborhood. :hoboy:

#16 ·
Crabait,

I puchased the homestead from Dad last year.

First thing I did was fill a garbage can with canned food from the fruitroom.

Mom and Dad have been divorced for 25 years and Pa doesn't do any canning. :hoboy:

Pickeld beets, royal ann cherries, peaches, pears, jams, jellies, pickles, green beans, oh and the list goes on.

It's good thing Bush didn't know about that stash of bio-chemical weapons or he would have sent in ground troups. :shocked:

There is now plenty of shelf space for Albacore. :grin:

#17 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I just found a canned jar of tuna from 7 years ago.
I've been dying for tuna, reading all the tuna news.

I cracked it open and the lid went phhhhhht!

It smelled so good! Bill and I mixed it up with mayo, mustard powder, tiny chopped onions and celery and sweet pickles. We spread it on his soft "pillow" bread, (as I call it... Bill loves white Wonder bread) and scarfed it down!

Yum!!!!

I may die soon, but I'm going out with a happy tummy!!!!

#18 ·
It's so fun to look up something on Google and find the answer on Ifish! Home, sweet home!

#19 ·
Lol 11 yr old zombie thread back from the dead! That 7 yr old stuff was canned after the other most recent post :)

FDA recommends only 1 yr according to any home canning guideline I have ever found. Realistically as long as the seal is good and it is still under vacuum and not rusted it is still edible. I have stuff several years old that I still eat on occasion. Store it away from light in a relatively cool place and it will last a long time. A lot of the survivalist type foods are rated for 5 and 10 year shelf life. Dried goods in #10 cans are rated for 30 yr shelf life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.