IFish Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why No Crossbows in Oregon?

42K views 81 replies 47 participants last post by  Snapt 
#1 ·
Just curious - and hoping I'm not opening a can of worms here - what is the logic behind not allowing hunting with a crossbow in Oregon? There are a lot of other states that allow hunting with crossbows during bow season. Just curious about rationale.

Also, is there anything in Oregon that you CAN hunt with a crossbow?

#42 ·
The crossbow is a poachers dream tool, they should be illegal to own much less to hunt with.

:flowered:

#43 ·
I'd sure like to see some stats to back up the assertions that crossbows increase incidents of poaching. I've done a little poking around and for those states that allow crossbows, the number one weapon for poaching seems NOT to be crossbows.....kinda hard to shoot a crossbow from a vehicle at an animal that's 100 yards away. I cannot find any information that indicates that crossbows increase poaching frequency.

#47 ·
Just another aspect of the poaching assertions. Crossbows ARE currently legal to purchase and own. There are places where someone can buy them in Oregon, let alone obtaining them through the internet or catalog companies. Given the availability of them now, I've never heard of a big game poaching incident involving the use of a crossbow. If poachers were going to break the law by poaching in the first place, what would stop them from using a crossbow now?

I'm not saying that it hasn't happened, just that all the poaching incidents I've read about, I haven't seen a single one involving a crossbow.

#50 ·
I think if poaching were my goal a crossbow wouldn't be my weapon of choice simply because it is impossible to conceal and unwieldy to use, especially when sitting in a truck.

I would be more concerned with the safety aspect.

Chromo, why the interest? I find them interesting like any other weapon but they simply are not very practical. Fun for shooting at the range or maybe for coyotes.

#51 ·
Crabbait, I just find them interesting. And find it interesting how each state looks at them as a hunting method. They do look fun, albeit a bit cumbersome, yes. Also curious about the how/why regarding Oregon's regulations. Just something to discuss since discussion about them has been very limited here.

#52 ·
We looked at using them for deer hunting in the coast range. We used to drive in this road and there was still a house every now and then and we would see deer in some of the open areas away from the homes. I felt uneasy about exiting the vehicle and getting off the road and shooting at a deer with the house still around, so we didn't. I know if I lived in one of those homes and someone torched off a deer rifle nearby I'm probably be pretty upset, but a cross bow in the circumstance seemed like a good option.

Honestly this was early to mid 90's and I was pretty sure both cross bow and non-primitive muzzle loaders could be used during the general rifle deer season, but I don't have a copy of the old regs to read so I'll chalk it up to, oh well.

I'd like to see some performance data on them, but I don't think they are nearly as effective as a regular bow, they just take much less skill to use accurately.

#54 ·
I'd like to see some performance data on them, but I don't think they are nearly as effective as a regular bow, they just take much less skill to use accurately.
Ted, what I've found so far is that they are in fact fairly comparable. Both a crossbow and a compound bow can launch arrows between 300 and 350 fps. Both have about the same amount of energy (using similar weight arrows) at 40 yards. But an arrow launched from a compound bow will have more energy farther out than one from a crossbow. A crossbow has about 1/2 the power stroke length of a compound bow, so a crossbow requires a much higher draw weight.

Hunter's friend has a pretty decent article comparing the two.

#61 ·
I cannot see how there is ANYTHING in common with a bow (trad or compound) and a crossbow. Any bow hunter can attest that most shooting situations involving big game animals would have been drastically different if they would have had a crossbow in their hands and not a bow (trad, compound or otherwise...).

Please, someone make the argument that hunting with a compound (or trad) is anything like hunting with a crossbow. If you can win that debate, I think you could sway the majority of those opposed to their use in this state.

I, for one, am one opposed to their use.

Jordan-

#62 ·
I'm fine with their use alongside other weapons with about the same characteristics, muzzle-loaders. Both are loaded/drawn before the game arrives, are single shot and have similar range restrictions.

Too many dissimilarities to use during archery seasons: Weapon is drawn before game arrives, can be fired from prone position, requires no discernible movement to fire.

To me, they are inherently unsafe due to the unwieldy nature of the beast. Don't believe me? Follow someone with a cocked crossbow through the woods some time (I've done it and it wasn't "safe" in my opinion...too difficult to control muzzle).

#70 ·
Not to sure about that. I just hunted with a buddy who had a whitehorse muzzy tag. It was raining and snowing. The 170 buck that walked away after 2 caps went off, but no bang happened, might be dead if he was packing a crossbow instead.lol. I'm pretty sure he would of switched over if he had the chance. I thought he was gonna chuck the muzzy at the deer.

#64 ·
WH - I'm curious....did you have a chance to read any of the info in the study I posted? I'm also curious about why you seem to be categorically opposed to their use. And to say that they have NO similarity to vertical bows is stretching it I think. Again, both launch arrow type projectiles using similar concepts - one is just more "manual" than the other. They both have similar initial velocities and effective ranges and do essentially the same thing on impact.

For what it's worth, I've also come across articles saying the same thing about recurve vs. compound bows when the compound bow was introduced in the late 60s.

And, Crabbait, I have not yet found a single study that indicates, with any statistical significance, that crossbows are more inherently unsafe than any other hunting weapon.....not saying it's not out there - just that everything I've see so far doesn't support the "unsafety" factor.

#65 ·
Chrom,

If we need to get technical to make a point, then yes, they are similar in design and function, but not, in any way, in use in the field. I can have a cross bow "cocked and locked" and ready to fire. That means when in the presence of an animal I have less of a need to worry about movement. You have to admit (if you have ever bowhunted) that drawing any bow, trad or compound, there is increased movement during the draw.

Two very different hunting tools when discussing use. Oregon does not need another weapon specific season "just because". I still hold to Crabs idea. If you want to use them, do it in the muzzleloader season. I think those two tools have far more in common than a bow and crossbow.

1. Both have an extended "loading time". Cannot (technically) load either as fast as throwing a bolt.
2. Distances that these two items can shoot are increased over a standard compound or trad bow, but are not as far as a high power rifle.

Just some thoughts...

#66 ·
2. Distances that these two items can shoot are increased over a standard compound or trad bow, but are not as far as a high power rifle.

Just some thoughts...
Thanks for the response. Just as a point of clarification....all performance data I have seen indicates that a crossbow might have an effective range higher than a traditional bow, but LESS than a compound bow or muzzle loader. The effective range of most crossbows, released between 300 and 350 fps (about the same as a 65-70# compound bow) has an effective range of about 40 yards....the kinetic energy drops significantly beyond that and faster than the kinetic energy from an arrow released from a compound bow.

#67 ·
I have done some testing with Crossbows myself.My buddies father owned Stryker Crossbows (A Oregon Company).Have killed a few Bears in Canada,Hogs in Texas,& lots of predators here in Oregon.It's just as effective as a Bow shoots like a Rifle to a extent with Muzzleloader range.As far as being cumbersome YES would I walk with someone in frount of me with it cocked not a good idea.(It has a saftey just like a rifle but just would not be comfortable)
Does it have a place in the hunting world sure alot of States are adopting it.
Does it need a season all to it's own sure but I would gladly turn in my rifle tag for a Crossbow indorcment or love the choice durring the Muzzle loader season.It has no place durring archery season I could put a hurt on some Bulls with a Bugle & Crossbow in hand.Crossbows are a blast to shoot & fun to hunt with don't knock it till you try it.

#68 ·
My home state of michigan made crossguns leagle a few years ago. if you go into an archery shop today they will have 40 cross bows and maybe 1 or 2 compounds and 0 recurves and long bows. really sad if you ask me. everyone I know back there is using them and they were really sucsessful the first 2 years. now there are not many deer and everyone is like where are all the deer.:palm:

#69 ·
I am a bowhunter. My days as such are likely numbered due to %50, and counting, nevere dammage in my left arm. I have no desire to ever hunt a general rifle season as I've already been shot at here in Oregon. If Oregon never passes a crossbows for the handicapped law, I'll either go smoke pole or quit all together. And that's a sad day for any bowhunter. And I'm only 36. Last I checked, Oregon is ONE of TWO states in the 50, that don't allow crossbows for the handicapped. Or a draw lock device, for that matter.

#71 ·
I have hunted Oregon blacktails with a muzzleloader and would gladly have traded for a crossbow. I would have a reasonable assurance that a crossbow would fire even in a coastal downpour. With the BP firearm, not so much.

...would I walk with someone in front of me with it cocked not a good idea.(It has a saftey just like a rifle but just would not be comfortable)...
We came to the same conclusion. Scenario: Got into elk while in the company of crossbow guy w/cow tag (Wyoming). He had been walking with the crossbow and drew it when the elk were encountered. The elk moved a little and we moved to intercept, etc.

Eventually, the crossbow guy decided to let the crossbow down because he didn't feel comfortable trying to move through brush with the crossbow drawn. It seemed like the natural tendency when encountering brush was to point the crossbow to the rear and use the weak hand to clear brush out of the way while using the body to push through. Taking he bolt off the cocked bow was the first safety precaution he took but he was still afraid of a dry-fire.

I'm not anti-crossbow. They are just different and require a new skill-set and to be compatible with hunting styles and weapon abilities.

#72 ·
I have hunted Oregon blacktails with a muzzleloader and would gladly have traded for a crossbow. I would have a reasonable assurance that a crossbow would fire even in a coastal downpour. With the BP firearm, not so much.

We came to the same conclusion. Scenario: Got into elk while in the company of crossbow guy w/cow tag (Wyoming). He had been walking with the crossbow and drew it when the elk were encountered. The elk moved a little and we moved to intercept, etc.

Eventually, the crossbow guy decided to let the crossbow down because he didn't feel comfortable trying to move through brush with the crossbow drawn. It seemed like the natural tendency when encountering brush was to point the crossbow to the rear and use the weak hand to clear brush out of the way while using the body to push through. Taking he bolt off the cocked bow was the first safety precaution he took but he was still afraid of a dry-fire.

I'm not anti-crossbow. They are just different and require a new skill-set and to be compatible with hunting styles and weapon abilities.
I've been in a tree strand & caught myself with my hand on the string:palm:.I would not just hand one to anyone & say here you go.The Crossbow is a great tool but it takes a little brains before you head out with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.