IFish Fishing Forum banner

good rifle scopes under $100

12K views 29 replies 21 participants last post by  William H Bonney 
#1 ·
im looking for a scope for my sedgeley 30-06, and i was wondering if any of the low-cost scopes are worth buying. i hunt western oregon and 200 to 250 yards is as far as im comfortable shooting, with most of my animals being taken at 50 to 150 yds. i just want a scope that wont fog, and doesnt move every time i shoot it. i know theres alot of cheap scopes, just want to know if any are good.

#5 ·
I wouldn't pay under $11 for a scope either. While I don't think the high priced scopes offer me enough more to justify the price, the under a $100 scopes are normally junk. Years ago I had a Tasco Pronghorn that cost me well under a hundred. Alumiun body and the steel rings holding in the front glass destroyed the threds in about a month. It was on a 25-06. I did have a Tasco Workd Class cost me $89 brand new. Lasted a lonk time and I gave it to a young man wanting one for his 22. I believe the gods just smiled on me on that one.

I suspect I do understand where your coming from though. It is a money thing as it was for me. Look for used scopes, gun show good place to look. Maybe an old Weaver, Redfield. Leupold or Bushnell. I have an old Weaver K4 that probably you could get for around $50. But it's a good enought scope that I wouldn't sell it.

I just checked Midway and they do have Bushnell Banner's for under $100. I have no idea how good they are any more but I have one on my 25-06 now that has been doing well for over twenty years. BSA alsso under $100 but I have no experience with them. Stay with a well known name, even if it is bottom of the line. Come to think of it, you might also check Cabelas. They have stuff in a back room marked way down, returned items mostly I think. But I also think the stuff works.

#6 · (Edited)
I have a Bushnell Banner 4X12 that I think was around $100 years ago. I wouldn't go that high power on one though, by the time I got over 9X, eye relief got really bad. I hate that scope, but it was on my 300 win mag for about 10 years and it did OK.

The key to happiness when it comes to scopes in never look through quality glass. I think the $100 to $200 range you can find something that is functional, but once you look through a high end scope, your done. :passout:

#11 ·
Like others stated I would buy a nikon pro staff 3x9x40 on sale for $99 I own 5+Nikon optics only one prostaff but have never had a problem with any of them

#12 ·
Another vote for the bushnell banner. I've had a few and they just seem to take abuse. The glass is OK at best but they do the job and, the ones I've owned, were trouble free. Now, I've got a centerpoint and it seems like its made about as well as the busnell or similar scopes. The glass seems a little clearer but I have not shot it yet to see how it works. Nikon is always a good choice, too. Personally, I love quality glass but the lower cost stuff does have its place and I gladly own both.

#14 ·
I have an older Simmons 44 mag 3-10X44 that I bought new some 20 years ago or so. It has never disappointed me, and is a nice bright scope. I think it was $149, which is about the same as it is now.

I also have a Bushnell that I bought on a close out deal for like $99, it was regular around $150. It is ok, but I still prefer the Simmons.

My next one, which will be this year will be a Nikon with BDC.:twocents:

#15 ·
The Nikons by all accounts are good. If you're patient you might be able to find a Leupold VX1 right at $100 too. For a little less though, especially on sale, the Tasco World Class has delivered for me in the past. You won't get the same optics as a more expensive scope, but then you already decided you weren't when you set the price limit. I had a Tasco World Class on my first rifle that lasted 12 years with no problems, then I sold it to help pay for a Leupold. Disclaimer is I haven't had one on a rifle since then (20 yrs ago) and I don't know if the quality has held.

#18 ·
I have the Leupold/Redfield in a 2-7x, love it! Caution the 2-7x doesn't fit long actions well. You'll need extension rings and then little fore and aft adjustment. My next scope will be a 3-9x Leupold/Redfield.

#20 ·
My first rifle had a Bushnell Banner 35 years ago. Fogged on the second day on an out of state Mule Deer hunt. Bought a used Leupold after that. Still hitting animals
Just one of those early lessons about knowing where to invest..

#22 ·
A lemon get's out of everyone's plant sooner or later. Bushnell's are not my first preference in scope's but you can get them really inexpensive and the track record is not that bad for the price you pay.

#23 ·
I don't know when the Banner scope was first produced but I ended up with one that was mounted on a Remington Mod. 721 that was probably made in the early 50's. It's one of the best scopes I've ever looked through although I've never hunted with it. I had a later Banner 3 X 9, made in the 70's, which was probably the worst I ever looked through.

#28 ·
Budgets are tough and saving pennies is a pain, but here's some truth:
Never go cheap on speakers for the stereo, and never go cheap on glass for the rifle.

Cheap beer? Sure.

Cheap speakers or glass? Never.

P

#29 ·
There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. nIf the guy get's a really inexpensive scope and it last only two years it just could be he'll be in a position to get a better one next time.

#30 · (Edited)
Lots of advice here and some have nailed it. Things to consider, low light ability. This is where good optics are nice. In the store that is well lit, you cant see how the scope will perform in low light. I would NEVER buy another Simmons. Too many issues fogging up on the inside with them. Do as some have mentioned and either double your money and get a Leopold or the Nikon for $150. Problem with used is you dont know if its gonna be right or not. You will be glad you did as you cant buy a "Decent" scope for under $100:twocents::flag2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.