IFish Fishing Forum banner

Best braid line size for back trolling salmon and steelhead?

21K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  LJB 
#1 Ā·
I just used a guide that uses 40# braid. The guy at FM says too much as it won't get down. I currently have 25# on it.

I need to use the rod for both steelies and salmon. Thoughts?

Thanhs

#2 Ā·
I use 30 on my plug rods for steelhead and 65 on my kwik rods for chinook so anywhere in between would probably work for both. Brais is thinner and cuts the water better than mono so I wouldn't be to worried about it getting down.... Ive used those kwik rods on the columbia with divers and flat lined at the coast and have never had an issue.

#3 Ā· (Edited)
What type of fishing? If the guide used 40, why wouldn't it work for you too?

I've experienced that a lot of guides use line heavier than I normally do just due to the fact that they fish clients who may have very little to no experience fishing. Heavier lines mean less lost fish. Any guides, please chime in and let me know if I'm half correct. Plus, they don't have to have a ton of different rod and reel setups every time they change target species.

#4 Ā·
What type of fishing? If the guide used 40, why wouldn't it work for you too?

I've experienced thtt a lot of guides use line heavier than I normally do just due to the fact that they fish clients who may have very little to no experience fishing. Heavier lines mean less lost fish. Any guides, please chime in and let me know if I'm half correct. Plus, they don't have to have a ton of different rod and reel setups every time they change target species.
Cause I went from 65 braided to 25 braided based on FM advice. Now, do I really need to up to 40? I am thinking I will stay w 25 and if I lose one cause of the line, then I will spend more $.

Just thought I would throw it out there for a round-a-bout.

#7 Ā·
Salmon 50-65# test Tuf or PP

Steelies 30# Tuf or PP

#20 Ā·
Thin braid sucks. It digs into the spool when you get hung up and pull on it hard, and it tip wraps. Tip wraps and a snag result in broken rods. 65# braid works great for about any salmon application. Getting down is not a problem.
I use 50# Power Pro on my steelhead reels (for plugs, trolling, anchor fishing, mono for jigs, side drifting and drift fishing)

65# for all salmon fishing. It works best, it gets down, holds up to abrasion (under 50 does not since it is only a few threads) it doesn't tip wrap, it never breaks before the leader

#14 Ā·
25# is too thin for salmon. I had FM spool 3 of my reels with 30# and it dug into the spool when trying to fight a 30# Chinook. Also lost two other fish because of the lousy spooling job. Took all of my reels to Olie's and had them spooled with 50lb Power Pro. Never had a problem since. Would you rather have a counter salesman give you advice and spool your reels, or somebody who's been in the business for decades? At least for me, the answer is simple: Ollie's.

#19 Ā·
Exactly! The suffix trolling braid I use, 30lb orange, lays really tight and flat on the spool, has never dug into itself. Even when snagged it never digs into the spool. A lot of other brands don't lay as flat on the spool. If someone was to just look at the difference between the brands they would notice it right away just by going up to the fishermans counter and comparing the big spools they have behind the counter.

#17 Ā·
Less memory is good for tying the knot but I don't think it casts as well. I tie all my leaders on Maxima ultragreen, from 4 lb. up to 50 lb. depending on target species.

#23 Ā· (Edited)
+1, but I've experienced excellent performance using Sufix 832 for all my float fishing. Floats great, mends awesome, smooth and quiet.

I have field tested most of the braids available and Sufix 832 is the best preforming braid that I have fished so far.

I'm with D. J., Salmon 65lb. braid, Steelhead 50lb. braid on the plug rods.

GG

#22 Ā·
50lb power pro is to light for serious Fall chinook bobber fishing! 65-80 with 40 lb leaders! 30-50 for steelhead with 30lb getting the nod from the bank. From a boat its easier to get away with heavier line because you have less casting involved! In the Salt never anything lighter then 50lb braid for light inshore fishing!

#25 Ā·
You guys in Oregon must be fishing for whales. All the B-run steelhead that I catch are on 12lb mono with a 15lb florocarbon leader when plug fishing. Seldom a break off. Mono gives you some stretch and the small diameter gets the plug down.

50 #? wowsa.

Ljb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.