IFish Fishing Forum banner

Inboard vs Outboard Motors?

23K views 28 replies 27 participants last post by  Keta 
#1 ·
I am looking into buying a new boat. I am looking for an ocean boat(striper, arima, seasport, osprey and ect) and the question I have is what do more people prefer outboard or inboard? Single or dual motors (dual I am sure but I have to ask) and if outboard, what brands are better for salt water and what are some of the problems people have encountered. Any info would help. Thanks

#3 ·
It's a toss up for me. I've had several boats with both. The Inboard was much easier to work on and I felt comfortable making repairs. The outboard... I would be afraid to touch if I had problems. As far as duel motors.... I don't think so! Right now I have a 175 Yamaha OB with a T-8 Kicker and feel comfortable going out 40 miles or so on a good day. Dependability is paramount with me but also think of the amount of fuel you will use on whatever power you choose.

#7 ·
Duel outboards designed for saltwater. Not to start a brand war but I love my Mercury Optimax Saltwater motors.

I prefer the dual motors for the redundancy factor. I once dropped a lower unit on a pair of Suzuki's I had. We were 10 miles into a family vacation in the San Juans. Had we only had the one motor and a kicker that would have been the end of the trip. But with duels we were able to continue our trip. We had a buddy boat as well before I get slammed for taking my family out on one motor only.

I prefer outboards because they are made for boats. Most inboards are made for cars. Little things like having the starter on the bottom side of the motor. Not only is it impossible to get to it's down where the bildge water slashes up on it. I have a buddy that puts a starter into his yearly fishing budget. Then there the wire connections that are not stainless or corrossion resistant, no or few stainless bolts, and they usually eat up deck space.

I also believe that outboards are made to higher standards and are more reliable. But that is an opinion.

#9 ·
OK here is the real test..

Go to the dealer that wants to sell you an inboard. Stand next to the gunwale on the starboard side, ..... now as fast as you can....run to the other side (port if you are new at this.) Do this five times!

If you had to jump or step over that ...(%$##%%##%$%) ..Dog house in the middle of the deck, you will soon understand why outboards are preferred for FISHING.

OK ......here is the next test............Ready..
Try to change the fuel and oil filter. AH Ha I think you are beginning to understand. Now try and change the spark plugs.....see!

There is no inboard that compares to an outboard for fuel efficiency,
(that I know of) unless you want a slow boat like mine.

Been there, done that, unless you want an 8 knot boat, buy an outboard.

That's my sage advice, and it's worth alot more than you paid for it.

Bob

#27 ·
Arimas have room for a single engine only plus a kicker. If you settle on twin outboards, consider that a single motor should have enough power and a reasonable throttle opening to get the boat up on plane. Two smaller engines isn't going to work if one gives up.
Twin 115's four strokes will fit on a 22' Sea Legend......... Great set-up BTW.......

#13 ·
just bought a 2301 striper. 225 yammi plus kicker. this is my 1st o/b. the I/O s are cheaper up front in the same boat. with thier multiport fuel injection the i/o get good decent fuel economy. but u can not even change a spark plug on the thing as ever thing is jamed in so tight.
you will have maintence on both.

#14 ·
Which is more important to you, safety in rough water, or more reliable?

Outboards have fewer breakdowns and are more reliable on the salt than IBs.

True inboards offer a safety factor few consider. The weight is centered and low in the boat. There is much less stern weight like you have with OBs. Until you have taken on very sporty water in a boat with a true IB straight shaft, it is impossible to understand the difference weight distribution makes.

IB/OBs motor weight is near the stern like an OB, with more breakdowns and repair problems like a straight IB. Plus with the IB/OB outdrive, you pick up additional potential mechanical problems that you do not have with a IB. The IB/OB has the poor features of both the IB and OB.... Plus that darn dog box that many have... But the IB/OBs are cheaper to manufacture and lower the sales cost..

True IBs are slower than OBs in nice water. However, IBs can run faster than most similar size boats with OBs in rough water.

No right or wrong answer to which is better IB or OB, I just stay away of IB/OBs.. Get what you like and go have fun. And know the limits and capabilities of your boat.. However, I do not believe any of the brands you mentioned offer a true straight IB, just the IB/OB option. On those brands you mentioned I would go with OBs. (Yamaha)..

#16 · (Edited)
if you want i/o get diesel more efficient and reliable. I have a e tech on my arima and love it very quiet and efficient but am currently looking to upgrade to a bigger boat and have allways been a fan of diesel power except you do loose speed 18 knts cruise vs 25-30 with gas. if i had my choice at anything i wanted though it would be dual e-techs on a bracket. I know this is contradicting but its the way i feel if its i/o diesel if not, twins on a bracket

#18 ·
Alot said about outboards,

I have an inboard and I like it, its new and has yet to disappoint. I have a Kicker as well. No let me say this, i have alot of power, smooth ride and it gets me out to the 126 and back. I take care of the engine and wash it down with the boat. salt is bad and must be delt with.

If you maintain your boat it will not fail u. If you mess with it and try to make it something it is not your asking for trouble. match your motor and outdrive, use only recommended parts and keep up on all the maintenance.

Sure there are advantages to both setups, try them both before you buy and see what one fits your expectations.

Many run single o/bs with a kicker. most bigger fishing boats have duel inboards, why ?? not sure but it has something to do with the captains and the manufactures preferences.

My motor was built for a Boat by a company that makes motors for boats.
5.7 vortec mpi by Marine Power. they stand behind it and so do I so far, all 135 hours that are on it the motor has performed. So it all comes down to you and your expectations.

Herman

#19 ·
After years (20-30)of watching boats and getting a feel for the differeance
its simple
If you like working on motors and outdrives-get a inboard
If you like not working on motors-get an outboard

both need maintained
mark

#20 ·
more rant on my part
had a bilge pump go out on my I/O could not even see it let alone touch it to replace it. had to leave it in place and put ina new one. also to replace the starater last year they had to remove the heat exchanger to look the starter that was and hour labor by itself.

#21 ·
First, I do not like I/O's...too many parts to break.

Outboard power can be replaced easier than inboard but diesel outboards are hard to find. Outboard motors tend to be in the way for trolling and they put their exhaust through the prop.

If I had the funds for what I "want" it would be a pair of inboard common rail diesels.

#23 ·
Mostly anecdotal experience here, I've had far less trouble with my outboards (total of 4 different rigs, over the past 25 years) than any of my friends with their I/Os. I also get up on plane faster, and run with less gas. I've had my Honda 115 on an Alumaweld Intruder for 8 years now, never a hiccup and nothing more than routine maintenance. On a recent tuna/halibut/salmon/crab trip I used only 22 gallons of gas to fish all day out of Newport, hitting my tuna 42 miles offshore.

I don't know what size boat you're looking at. I like the "outbacks" for outboards, with a full-height transom. There wasn't room for this on my Intruder (garage space problems) so I make do with a full-height transom (not factory standard) cut down just enough in the center for my extra-long shaft Honda. Good luck! It's always fun to scheme out the "perfect" boat:throb:

#24 ·
I don't buy the "outboards use less fuel" argument, but I say that with the caveat that I've not run a gas inboard or diesel outboard for a truly fair comparison. Even the 28' whale watching boats running single or twin OBs burn at least twice as much fuel as my 35' with twin I/O diesels. So... from an economy standpoint, my vote is inboards, but be sure they're diesel.

I also don't agree with "all inboard engines are car engines converted for marine use" 100% I don't have any problems getting to filters, starters, alternators, etc. even in my cramped engine compartment. From a service and maintenance do-it-yourself standpoint my vote also goes to diesel inboards.

Under heavy, "mission critical" usage - ie: seatow service, charter, etc. - I can see the great value in outboards... if something semi-major goes wrong, the solution is 4 bolts away with a whole unit on standby. No troubleshooting to determine whether your problem is injectors, rings, drive related, etc... just remove the bad motor, replace with new/spare/rebuilt unit and you're back in business. The "I can't afford a single day of downtime during my charter season" vote definitely goes to outboards.

For a smaller boat, having a raised engine cover (aka: doghouse) sucks with an inboard. MY boat doesn't have such problems, however... twin 230 hp engines under the deck, and I've got 10'x11' of flat, diamond-plate, wide open fishing deck. Except for very specific applications (like a flats boat with a pole platform above the outboard) the outboards are a major PITA to work around when trolling, fighting fish, handling quad-hookups, etc...

I've also decided over the past 3 years that I don't ever want another I/O again... the power loss each time the drive-train takes a 90 degree turn (twice in a typical I/O setting) is horrendous. Gimme a straight-shaft (or at least a v-drive) any day!!! Oh, not to mention the number of moving (aka: susceptible to failure) parts just sucks.

I'm rather interested to see where the evolution of the MEG diesel outboards takes those motors, but I have a strong suspicion my next boat(s) will all have long, straight shafts and engines tucked neatly away below decks.

-Case

#25 ·
Just because it has been left out of the discussion, I want to at least explain why IO's are an industry standard and why they end up in boats while getting lambasted on forums.

Two words:

VECTORED THRUST

Outboards make the best of this by turning the whole assembly, but they are far more expensive per hp than an IO setup is in new construction.

Straight shaft boats are great in certain applications, but keep in mind that the vast majority of boats benefit from trimming the lower unit up for running attitude, running in shallower water, clearing a fouled prop, and launching/retrieving at less than ideal ramps. If you are in a moored, ocean going boat that never sees fresh water and doesn't run in shoal areas, direct drive is the thing to have. Except if you need to run in reverse or its windy, where IO's and outboards have a distinct advantage because of vectoring their thrust. Granted, you will learn to work around this in straight shaft applications, but it is something worth noting.

IO's also allow placement of the engine anywhere in the boat via jackshafts, though most manufacturers go the cheap route and run them right on the transom. They are actually capable of being placed in more advantageous locations than straight shafted motors, but because of the reduction in simplicity, this isn't often used.

Im not here to say IO's are perfect, they are limited by the above elements, but there are reasons they get used as often as they do. I thought it would at least be good for anyone searching the thread to understand the reasoning and limitations of the other propulsion as compared to the venerable IO.

E

#26 ·
In the boats you mentioned, you are limited to IO and outboard. Both have their pluses and minuses. You will never get a consensus on which is best.

The only thing I really hate about outboards is having to fish around them. I prefer a clean transom. That, and they make a beautiful looking boat, ugly. :D

The only thing I really like about outboards is being able to raise the running gear out of the salt water while moored. If you don't plan on mooring your boat, this is a moot point.

Folks around here seem to prefer outboards so you may have better resale with them. Then again, you will probably pay more upfront too, especially with twins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.