IFish Fishing Forum banner

What line to us for plugs

14K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  Catch 22 
#1 ·
I am just starting to use plugs for winter fish and have heard several people say different things about some of the newer lines. What should I use on the level wind reels when pulling plugs and How heave or light weight test should I use?

I do wish all of you a Merry Christman and may your holidays be filled with fish.

"fish only bite wet hooks"

#27 ·
Yes, there is some tip wrappage but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

I never use less than 50# for the fact that less than that the diameter is too small and the abrasion resistance is lost.

Also, Salmonator, I'd be carefull of running so light a leader. If you get a fish that likes to role around and wrap the line around it's self there is going to be a fish swimming around with a nice plug. And if you snag up say bye bye to your plug.

Most of use use 20# leader. I've been running 25# and the fish don't mind one bit, caught fish this week in the clear water with no problem.

#28 ·
Snagly, Western Fillament makers of Tuff line and TUFF plus have fused lines as well. I'm not sure if they are available to the public yet but they are great and the color is impregnated into the fused material so it does not fade or come off in any way. I have found the fused lines to float higher than braid...good for bobbers, bad for pluggin. They also have a braid... TUFF 2000 which has twice the braids as TUFF Plus and is smoother/silkier feeling and some what round. The have been hesitant in bringing it out as price looks to be twice of TUFF pluss.

I use both braid and mono..Like to run braid on my K10 & K/12 rods in slower water where line diameter is more in play. I also like ot see my lines out in front of the boat and have yet to find a braid or fused line brite enough for my eyes in this regards.

If the rod tip is not verticle but stays horizontal briad will not wrap around the tip of a HSR 9000 or any rod, plus the use of a mono bumper will help in this matter.

Dave is right use a bumper in the 20-25 lb range on briad and you can pull in anything.

Plunker, Author of "Plug Fishing For Steelhead"

#29 ·
These are all excellant points on braided lines. Dave Johnson is right 50# is the way to go. One thing I might add to this discussion is that you really don't need the mono leader. I fish several small S.W. Washington rivers and pull # 40 Hot Shots tied directly to my Spider Wire in gin clear water and no problem getting bit.Spider Wire A-2000 is a more expense braid because of the weave. Tuff Line has the same product. They just don't market it because it's so expensive. With regard to Fire Line, yes it's a coated braid but that's it's beauty. All you bobber and jig fisherman should go fill your spinning reels with 14# green Fire Line. Then tie a 12-15' bumper of 8-12# mono(preferably Berkley XT). Use a double uni- knot to join the two lines. Then just run your bobber like normal. Fire Line floats and is so much easier to mend. Remember drag free drifts are best with your bobber. Happy New Year All!

#30 ·
Dave the heavier mono is probably better, but I haven't had a problem with breaking off fish although I do lose a plug to a rootwad occasionally. I normally use 17lb G-power cofilament but like I said, lately it seems that it takes an act of congress to get something shipped though the mail from california anymore....

#32 ·
Great thread, fellows. I've cut-and-pasted selected comments from Dave, Plunker ("Plugger"?) and Sturgzilla into a file note so I can look at them again w/o having to search the archives.

PS I find a double uniknot connection between the line and a longer mono leader to be quite strong for uncoated, softer braids like Spiderwire. I don't find it a particularly good connection for Fireline. You may want to test the breaking strength of several combos of main line and mono using hand scales.

#33 ·
SNAGLEY, Your great and have just give this not so computer savy nut a great tip. Almost as good as all the others listed above. I will now cut and past and save to a fishing file. I find this to be priceless as I have printed some of the information we share and now, You hit me up side the head with a big hammer. I can cut and paste without printing. Guess I am really a dough ball when it comes to computers.....
I was at the tackle shop near Hyy 212 and I 205 (across from Fred Meyers) today and they have a gold colored braided line that is very visible and easy to see on the water. It floats and cast well with a spinning reel... Seems like a great bobber line so fay, I just haven't had a hit on it yet..

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.