IFish Fishing Forum banner

Chickenship!

11K views 51 replies 48 participants last post by  Quiet Riot 
#1 · (Edited)
In case you were wondering what was going on when the ships were blasting their horns so much this past Labor Day weekend, here's some visual accompaniment. Little boats refusing to move for big boats... they must not be familiar with Newtonian Physics. C.W.

Watch that little white boat!

See less See more
#5 ·
We were anchored up at Kalama today and a Sherriff boat came ahead of this huge container ship and cleared the channel of idiots. It looks like the Longview area could have used an idiot remover with a ticket book. Lady would have been a great day to collect some quick ticket cash. I would love to see the CG or Sherriff come through and make examples out of about 30-40 boats. Word would get out and I think lot of this would change.

Hydroman

#6 · (Edited)
I almost saw someone get killed the other day in longview because he wouldn't move. He had plenty of notice, never let go of his anchor, and when that ship was getting close I thought he was gonna get rammed for sure. He was literally so close he probably could have reached out and touched the ship passing by!:palm:

Definitely closer than the boat in those pics. It was crazy.

#13 ·
A couple weeks ago two LOADED ships MET right in that spot. If that would have happened on that day they would have taken out SEVERAL of those boats!!

CRAZY!!!

#14 ·
Woodland today, I saw a couple boats lose their anchors and balls to ships. When The sheriff says move don't just drop off anchor, your going to lose it. I wise they would write some tickets, someone is going to get hurt. I wonder if those ships that snag up anchor set ups can lose power or jam a rudder if bound up. That could cause a real problem.

#24 ·
Sheriff ought to come back and at least issue warnings to the guys that don't pick up thier anchor & ball.

With the length of time it took some people to get their ball and anchor back in, they didn't clear out in time for the ship.
Suggestion is to get on it as soon as you hear/see the ship and possibly, if you are not accustomed to it, run a test run before a ship does come through. Reel in lines, put up rods, bring in socks, motor up past ball (preferrably without tangling your anchor rope around your prop) and gather up line and ball and anchor. for most people trained at this, it takes 5-7 minutes. A rookie can take up to 20 minutes.

the mess that followed from the tangeled ancor lines sounded like it took a dangerous action and made it worse.
The tangled mess was surely dangerous. Guy just up and ran off without his anchor, ball and rope.

We were anchored up at Kalama today and a Sherriff boat came ahead of this huge container ship and cleared the channel of idiots. It looks like the Longview area could have used an idiot remover with a ticket book. Lady would have been a great day to collect some quick ticket cash. I would love to see the CG or Sherriff come through and make examples out of about 30-40 boats. Word would get out and I think lot of this would change.
Hydroman
Little boat in the end of CCW's post did get issued a citation. Sheriff came back later and put on the lights and was stopped for quite a while. Boat pulled anchor and left after that.

#15 ·
Fished Tongue point the last couple of days and the Sheriffs boat did a great job of clearing the morons out of the channel. Lights and horn blasting , and running from one side of the lane to the other. Also using the PA to get the attention of the real dimwits. Great pics, thanks for posting.

#18 ·
When that ship came throught St Helens he was blasting 5's I'll bet 1 1/2 miles above the Lewis River. We were above the Lewis and 145 ft out of the shipping channel, you hold your spot right ? . Well my white neckeled 1st mate (dearest wife ) thought it was a good time for a bank brake, so $19.45 later spent at the local gas dock with fresher coffee we returned. Later a boat ancored up that had been down lower on the river, and was told by the Sheriff boat to move 5 or 6 boats deep, and they were out of the shipping channel. I know when the man speaks you move but the mess that followed from the tangeled ancor lines sounded like it took a dangerous action and made it worse.

#20 ·
i witnessed the hanjin cargo ship take a guys anchor and ball that he left in the channel fishing by himself when the mayhem began at the mouth of the lewis. Be careful out there.... oh and the bite has not been cooperative lately:palm:

#23 ·
A bunch of them are lucky the river pilot slowed this ship down to a minimum. I love fishing but I can't see putting myself or others in a really dangerous position. Not to bright is the only thing I can say here about them.

#26 ·
Also a good reason to have a VHF radio and have it "on" scanning the regular channels... This year the coast guard has been broadcasting warnings about violating "Rule 9".

All of the ships this year have also been broadcasting on VHF their location and if they are inbound or outbound. Of course I'll guess none if the idiots in the photo's even know what a VHF is... :palm:

#27 ·
Amazing photos including the crossed arms of the guy in the white boat. It looked to me like that must have been a really hot part of the river compared to the rest of the Columbia. I have to say I don't understand the facination with anchoring in the middle of the river near a bunch of other boats.

#29 ·
MADAME BUTTERFLY

Contribute to this page Add to My Fleet
Vessel's Details

Ship Type: Ro-ro/passenger ship
Year Built: 1981
Length x Breadth: 199 m X 32 m
Gross Tonnage: 50681, DeadWeight: 28223 t
Speed recorded (Max / Average): 16.5 / 15.8 knots
Flag: Singapore [SG]

Call Sign: 9VHF
IMO: 7917551, MMSI: 563892000

Last Position Received

Area: Pacific North
Latitude / Longitude: 46.5793° / -125.1730° (Map)
Speed/Course 16.5 knots / 308˚
Last Known Port: ASTORIA
Info Received: 5d 14h 34min ago (AIS Source: )
Not Currently in Range
Itineraries History

Voyage Related Info (Last Received)

Draught: 8.6 m
Destination: PYUNGTAEK,S.KOREA
ETA: 2013-09-11 04:00
Info Received: 2013-08-29 02:09 (5d, 15h 2min ago)

Recent Port Calls:

No Records Found

Ex Names History

Need I say more? :palm:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.