IFish Fishing Forum banner

2013 salmon report thread for Newport

97K views 299 replies 114 participants last post by  kfbigdog 
#1 ·
Sometimes it's helpful to have a thread that gets reports, both *** and neg, so we can keep up with some of what is happening to the fishing. So this is to give brief reports, not to replace the trip reports we all like to read. Walter gave us a start with his spring break salmon thread and many of us fished spring break week!

If you read the posts on this thread and go salmon fishing out of Newport, please report to keep the info coming and current, that will help all of us.

The last week of March there were salmon south of the jetties, some concentration just south of Seal Rock. April 2 and 3, Tues and Wed, they weren't there in the same concentration and those that were there didn't bite for us. We spent 8 hours trolling on Tues, 4/2, for one long line release, not even any drive-bys. Wed, 4/3, we trolled for 3 hours from before dawn, then went' bottomfishing. About 1 pm or so we heard of a bit down off the Alsea, ran down there at 30 knots - the ocean was flat - and managed to lose one at the boat and put one in the box, then the bite died.

One hit a Brad's cut plug lure and one a coyote spoon. Both of those and hootchies were what we caught fish on the last week of March.

This is shaping up to be a decent chinook season, I hope it stays good all season.
ron m

See less See more
#41 ·
Yes that tag is good for 20 wild or clipped salmon and Steelhead. But if you purchase a hatchery tag you can put all of your clipped fish on it and continue buying more once it is full. There is no limit on hatchery harvest tags. So save your main tag with 20 spots for your wild Chinook or Coho and make sure you put a W behind the number for species, like 1W meaning wild Chinook.

#46 ·
We ended up with 1 Chinook at 25", a few hits shortly before but that was all the action we got. Saw 1 other netted and heard of a jack being caught. Ours was caught in 110 ft. of water with herring and the only rod running a dodger. The other three rods were using flashers.

#47 ·
Sunday, 4/21/'13, Silverfish left the dock at 0615 with 4 PoB, started trolling over nice marks about 0645, nothing till about 1100, then one approx 27 in on a DR at 90 in about 110 ft depth. Using a flasher and hootchie. Then nothing till about noon-thirty when we got a nice 34 in chinook on a diver and spoon (silver and blue) at about 60 pulls. Only other bites all day were two rockfish tht came on the flasher and hootchie. Left for the dock about 2:20, a long day of trolling for just two fish. Nice conditions on the ocean not much wind and small swell with a decent period. Cold and misty all morning. this was the 14th trip for Silverfish in '13, been a good year so far for lings and chinook and we've had some fantastic conditions many of those trips. Maybe that's a good omen for this year, I sure hope so!
ron m

#49 ·
We went out on Saturday decided to do some bottom fishing in the am was able to catch a few about 5 miles south. Had to come back in because of a few on bard that wasn't feeling to well. Decided to try ower luck trolling for salmon in the afternoon with just a few hookups but nothing to the boat. Four rode out two on divers two on down riggers ranging from 90 to 30 ft. Was having some trouble trying to locate any fish. Trolled north up by the light house ranging from 90 to 180 ft of water. Better luck next time I guess!

#51 ·
Started trolling straight west of Newport trolling south in about 120 ft of water at about 8am. Tried deeper and shallower picking up some rockfish close to the reefs then pulled up gear and ran to Walport and trolled north. Again tried different depths of water and down rigger setting but no luck. Wrapped up at 2pm with 6 nice rockfish and a smallish ling. We had a nice fish dinner but I sure wanted it to be salmon. The sampler said she checked a fair number of salmon. Forecast is tough until the end of the week.
Ed

#52 ·
Went out to 160 depth on Sunday and could not find any dirty water, felt strange dropping Herring into clear blue. Is this what the whole coast looks like right now? Any thoughts on when we might get some change.

BTW, we hooked two fish trolling cut plug 60' on LC with 20 oz cannon ball, nether made it to the boat but definitely some decent size fish. Ended with 6 Lings and a hand full of Bass.

#53 ·
The N wind is forecast to blow hard this week, that will cuse upwelling of cold nutrient rich water which will cause phytoplankton to grow which will "dirty" the water. The process is repeated during most of the summer, it's a big part of what makes our part of the ocean so productive. Remembering this makes it easier to wait thru those periods when we have the strong north wind and can't get out to fish.
ron m

#55 ·
It's a Depoe report not Newport but we can see your lighthouse from where we were fishing so here you go. 5 rods trolling bling and herring from 30 to 75 pulls Sunday. 5 takedowns in 6 hours only 1 in the box. Last week only 2 bites but 2 in the box. All the bites this week were on the deeper rods. A pod of breaching killer whales started off the morning then netting that fish without getting the net wet made for a exciting day! We finished up by picking up our 10 lings on the way in

#56 ·
Thanks for the great trip and the mid-chest net grab. Your post doesn't do it justice. Todd, Brad and Frank (maybe not so much Frank), were great to be with and had that intensity to fish making for a great day. Thanks again Steve, and look for those big hitchhikers. Hoosier.

#57 ·
Thanks for the Newport reports I have spent 25 hours running Kiwi15s and anchovies from ancor in Furgensons hole near Tyee bridge on the Umpqua with no hits runs or errors for the last week. Moving to the ocean Friday so thanks again for the reports. By the way a dozen or so other river rats also scored zero.

#61 ·
We went tagging today and got blown off the water by 10:30. 1 chinook to the boat and released on a retrieved swimbait 18f N of Seal Rock. Not many boats but possibility of more boats tomorrow with better conditions.

#64 ·
Thanks for the report. Ive been out twice bottom fishing at seal rock area. Using 5inch copper lead filled pipe with a couple of red and orange flys tied above. Havent had much luck. Cought a few. I herd octopus was a winner,but who carrys that critter? Any help would be great. Thanks Kent

#68 ·
Spent all of last week in Newport. Got out to fish for salmon 3 days.

Averaged about three hours of trolling before wind came up and chased my little boat back inside.

Had one take down and small time of excitement just past the r/w buoy on downrigger at 65 feet with a blue /chrome j plug.

Chased a lot crab around the bay ended week with 16 keepers, release 1000 plus little ones.

Had a sea lion still the bright orange plastic bait holder. He/she brought it up by the boat and proceeded to have a fun time throwing it around trying to break it I guess. Finally got it opened and ate the fish parts that was inside,

Must of liked the bright orange color.
Fog on Friday ended my week, not going out in the fog in this small boat.

Overall was a great week.:meme:

#70 ·
I was back out of Depoe sunday with a boatload. We bounced back and forth between bottom fishing and trolling for salmon. Only 1 takedown trolling but the lil 28" clipped nook got bonked. We had rods from 30-75 pulls down and the fish was at 30. Haven't had a lights out day for salmon yet but haven't gotten skunked either in 4 trips looking for these summers. The ocean sure laid down nice in the afternoon! With all the crying i've heard on here from the guys trolling springers in Portland i'm surprised more people aren't out here. There are plenty of cali fish for us to take and give me the wide open salt over bumper boats any day!

#71 ·
Silvefish was out again Sat and Sun, 2 PoB, one salmon on for about a minute on Sat, another tentative bite that didn't stick, that was it did a little bit of bottom fishing with poor results, though otheres did well. Worst 3 days of salmon fishing I've had this year.

The water temp was way down Fri and Sat, started coming up a little on Sun. Fri and Sat the water looked a dep blue and was very clear, Sun the color was a oght brownish green, so the plankton seems to hav started growing! This north wind is frustrating 'cause we can't get out, but it brings the upwelling of cold nutrient rich water that causes the plankton bloom that feeds the bait fish that feeds the salmon that feeds us!
ron m

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.