IFish Fishing Forum banner

Braided line fail...

10K views 66 replies 43 participants last post by  RiverMan 
#1 ·
Lost a nice Nook yesterday fishing Kwiks on the CR. 50 # Power Pro braid broke off cleanly above the swivel shortly after the take down / hook set.

Anyone else ever have an issue like this? This is the first time i have lost a fish like this. Line is brand new?

#49 ·
I hooked a pretty nice sized sturgeon last week and lost it when it was under the boat just as I was trying to coax it up off the bottom (45 ft of water). It wasn't pulling that hard when the main line (50 lb. braid) broke directly above the swivel. I use the FNF knot and was really surprised it happened. I mentioned it to a guide friend that said that braid has the ability to cut and wear itself over time and the knots should be retied periodically. I tied that knot at least one season ago so I figured it was solid advice.

#56 · (Edited)
I tried that FNF knot and it looked great but I was screwing it up for sure...broke super easy. Had to have been me...will keep practicing it. I prefer guess I have never tied my braid directly to my swivel. I always blood knot in a length of mono for a shock leader....I don't get breaks at the blood not or main line. Just seems to work for me. I have tried all kinds of knots and I go back to the polomar and clinch all the time.

When I softened up and lengthened my rods after switching to braid I landed a lot more fish. Just something else to consider in this bash on PP thread. LOL I have three bulk spools of PP, and will be ordering a new one this fall. LOVE THE STUFF!!! But I also love maxima...hate flourocarbon (can not tie knots that will work)..love mom, apple pie, and the United States of America.

#57 ·
50 power pro is what I run on my bouncers and spinner rods. No issues whatsoever. I use 30# maxima for dropper and it breaks before the braid. A week and half ago I fished 20# pp for tarpon, snooker, and redfish in Florida with zero issues. Most fish were hooked in mangrove tidal areas with tons of oyster beds and root systems to cut you off. For knots I use unis, albrights, and polamar.
To many of the best fisherman in the world use lines that are questionable on this site for me to trust what is being written in a thread when it comes to any brand line.

#58 ·
Lost a nice Nook yesterday fishing Kwiks on the CR. 50 # Power Pro braid broke off cleanly above the swivel shortly after the take down / hook set.

Anyone else ever have an issue like this? This is the first time i have lost a fish like this. Line is brand new?
I lost a nook on braid once, since then I double the line on ALL knots.

No trouble since.

:twocents:

#66 ·

same thing happened to me with a sturgeon had him on for 20 min then it just broke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.