IFish Fishing Forum banner

Bear back-up gun- S&W 642 38 Special??

17K views 45 replies 32 participants last post by  Grass Hopper 
#1 ·
I'll be bowhunting for bears this spring and would like a back up gun with me. I currently carry a 40cal auto and it is quite heavy and having to remember the safety, while I'm wetting myself, is a concern for me. This seems to be a very light weigh gun with no exposed hammer to hang up on brush, and is alloy and SS for rust reduction/cleaning in the field. I originally was looking for a 357, but was told with a 2" barrel that the knock down power isn't much different.

What are your thoughts?

Bryan

#32 ·
so spray is great unless you have a stream come right back on a wind into your face.

this happened to me up in AK when i had 5 customers on a rivers edge. big bruiser kept walking towards us pushing us up against the bank. pulled out the super size can of bear spray gave it the ol shaka shaka and let the pencil thick stream fly. just as the stream was about to hit the bear a breeze switched and pushed a huge cloud back onto me. good news was the spray worked real well bad news was the spray worked real well on me.

:meme:

#33 ·
Thanks for all the great feed back. I really appreciate all the insight. The 40 cal is not my CC gun, it's too bulky to wear with my suit and tie. It is also often raining in the early and late archery season and I have found a automatic a pain to strip and clean all the time. It seems like a revolver in SS would be much more user friendly. I do expect my arrow to take care of business or for the animal to run. But what if he doesn't???
Thanks again,
Bryan

#36 ·
Thanks for all the great feed back. I really appreciate all the insight. The 40 cal is not my CC gun, it's too bulky to wear with my suit and tie. It is also often raining in the early and late archery season and I have found a automatic a pain to strip and clean all the time. It seems like a revolver in SS would be much more user friendly. I do expect my arrow to take care of business or for the animal to run. But what if he doesn't???
Thanks again,
Bryan
??? I wear suit and tie, or dockers and a polo every day for WORK while carrying a Glock 22 or a 23, and you can't tell I wear it. I am NOT a Glock fan---although I sound like one. They get wet, hose it with the plastic friendly gun scubber or whatever, oil it real quick. Done. Maybe I missed it but sounds like your .40 is a full size? Get a holster like the Blackhawk plastic ones that won't hold water, or a nylon Uncle Mikes.

Funny, I DO have a 642, it goes in my pocket during hot weather or when I don't have a cover up. The 642 is a GET OFFA ME gun, which I look at as an extended range stabbing weapon. It buys me time to beat feet. Another funny, with issue 130 grain Win SXT +P it won't penetrate my 55 gallon burn barrel at 20 feet....so what would that load do to a bear, unless you stuck it in his mouth...

Many of the answers posted are from guys who thought it through and made their choice. After shooting wild boar with the .40 and seeing the damage, I wouldn't be afraid of a black bear with the right ammo. If I were buying an auto for just your purpose I'd get the Glock 10mm and be happy.

Good luck...

GD

#35 ·
I've used 125 grn JSP in .357 MAG on black bear with good results from 20 yards, killed them quick, but you're already armed well enough for blackies if you're carrying a bow and broadheads. As a rule, black bear are not aggressive. The sows with cubs that I've encountered have all run away as fast as they could leaving the cubs to fend for themselves. I've been within four feet of a sow with a cub and when she realized I was there she blew out of there. A wounded cornered bear can be another matter, but the ones that I've tracked, have only tried to get away. Use your head and you'll be OK.

#37 ·
I agree with billc sbio, I have a 3" SW in 357 and 44 and when you have seen a cat at close range you will know why I carry the 3" 44 with 300 gr, having hit a 175 lb, 8'2" cat with a bow at 25 yrds it helps a little to go looking for it with something more that a pointed stick. And even then it is very spooky! I recomend going with as big as you WILL be able to carry. Shoulder holster takes all the weight also. Good luck!

#39 ·
If it's what you got, it'll work. 38 with good hard cast +p's is nothing to sneeze at. If you're buying, I'd bump up to a .357 with a 3" barrel. S&W does make the Mountain Gun in 44 mag and 45 Long Colt, nice pistol. However, a 44 mag in a short, light package is going to not be all that much fun to shoot, but it would be more fun than getting chewed on. I think the noise of a .38 would be enough to convince most blackies to beat feet, and one behind the ear would be a fine finisher.

#40 ·
I can't believe nobody is recommending the S&W 329PD in 44mag. I have one and love it. I literally pack this thing EVERY time I go in the woods. It is so light you don't even realize it is on your hip. It does kick qutie a bit with full house loads, but it is very manageable with 44spl.

#41 ·
Black bear encounters seldom turn into dangerous situations. One of my friends discovered one in his garage as he was taking out the garbage. The bear was after the garbage cans and it left through a closed window! I've been in the same berry patch with a sow and her cubs just a few feet away eating berries. I just hollered BOO! and they ran away. I don't think that you need to kill a black bear in Oregon unless you want to. I've never heard of a single case of an unwounded black bear attacking anybody in the woods in Oregon and I've spent my life working in the woods. The dangerous bears are the wounded ones and the ones coming into backyard bird feeders. There was a lady last year in Sandy that got scratched by one that was into her bird seed. Too dumb to put pepper into the bird mix. If you bump into one in the field, a big boar may check you out, but if you keep your wits about you and give him room he'll clear out. Shoot, Sliverpicker keeps one around his house for a part time pet! :D

#42 · (Edited)
I think the original situation was concerning what you wanted to pack as "backup" while bowhunting for black bear.

That being said, I agree with a lot of the philosophies here in that you want enough gun and you want to be able to pack it comfortably enough that you don't leave it in the vehicle.

For black bear, or any game, you want to be able to shoot whatever you pack. I've hunted with a few guys that always pack a .44. I had to use it last year and I'll tell you it was too much given the situation. It wasn't the weight of the gun, but the amount of recoil during an intense situation.

Since then, I went with a relative that has a "collection" of handguns (much like bill below has demonstrated that he has). I shot them all. considered the means for how I would carry it, and then over a period of time, practiced shooting 2 shots fast.

I can't recover from the .44 recoil quite fast enough. I found that I do like a longer sight plane (and I shot it better), I definitely learned I needed a double action revolver, and I wanted top quality/durability. I also wanted to kill 2 birds with one handgun so to speak, as I am hoping to actually use it as my primary firearm during the fall bear season this year from a ground blind situation.

I settled for the 686 .357 S/W with 6" barrel. I feel very comfortable with it.

My point is, too much gun, unprepared, will serve you wrong. Pack what works for you, and if possible try several models / loads.

I am NO handgun expert, thus I wanted to find out what suited me best, which is NOT the same for everyone (as we can see from this thread).

For some, a 6" barrel is too long to pack in the field. The weight could be too much as a "side" arm. I think the shooter's ability, quality of bullet, and shot placement of key, but for a bow hunter grabbing for a backup...accessibility is tops.

I think your .38 Special +P would server you very well for what you need it to do...save your bacon in an unanticipated situation..enough to give you time to put space between you.

good luck!

#43 ·
I think the original situation was concerning what you wanted to pack as "backup" while bowhunting for black bear.

That being said, I agree with a lot of the philosophies here in that you want enough gun and you want to be able to pack it comfortably enough that you don't leave it in the vehicle.

For black bear, or any game, you want to be able to shoot whatever you pack. I've hunted with a few guys that always pack a .44. I had to use it last year and I'll tell you it was too much given the situation. It wasn't the weight of the gun, but the amount of recoil during an intense situation.

Since then, I went with a relative that has a "collection" of handguns (much like bill below has demonstrated that he has). I shot them all. considered the means for how I would carry it, and then over a period of time, practiced shooting 2 shots fast.

I can't recover from the .44 recoil quite fast enough. I found that I do like a longer sight plane (and I shot it better), I definitely learned I needed a double action revolver, and I wanted top quality/durability. I also wanted to kill 2 birds with one handgun so to speak, as I am hoping to actually use it as my primary firearm during the fall bear season this year from a ground blind situation.

I settled for the 686 .357 S/W with 4" barrel. I feel very comfortable with it.

My point is, too much gun, unprepared, will serve you wrong. Pack what works for you, and if possible try several models / loads.

I am NO handgun expert, thus I wanted to find out what suited me best, which is NOT the same for everyone (as we can see from this thread).

For some, a 4" barrel is too long to pack in the field. The weight could be too much as a "side" arm. I think the shooter's ability, quality of bullet, and shot placement of key, but for a bow hunter grabbing for a backup...accessibility is tops.

I think your .38 Special +P would server you very well for what you need it to do...save your bacon in an unanticipated situation..enough to give you time to put space between you.

good luck!
I agree with that 100%! I carry a 6" S&W revolver in .357 when I go look for dead bears. I can hit out past 50 yards with this excellent and accurate firearm. It doesn't take a big gun, it takes one that you can confidently shoot accurately. I know from experience because I've killed bears with it. I definitely prefer accurate revolvers for bear and cat guns.

#45 ·
When I Bow hunt on Prince of Wales Island in Alaska, I always carry my Scandium (sp?) 44 mag. light weight 4" in the leg pocket of my 6 pocket pants. As said before no Brown Bears there, But when I hunt on Admiralty Island for deer, I always carry my 500 S&W in a shoulder holster. Lots of Brown Bear there. I always use lead cast bullets. No hollow points. I have been within 4 feet of a Brown Bear and I did not feel comfortable even if I had a Howitzer. I think you should go with the biggest, fastest bullet you can afford. Shoulder holsters make it easier to carry the heavy IRON. Gerberman

#46 ·
I live in AK and I love my s&w M&P .357 in scandium... you dont even know your carrying it... Full house loads will do the job.. and the penetration through a scull is better than from the 44mag or the 45 lc.

The gun you have on you is WAY better han the big one in the safe...

its only for shooting them at your feet... but I cant say I would pull the trigger if it was any farther away anyways...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.