IFish Fishing Forum banner

Rigging the Yarn Ball

13K views 25 replies 15 participants last post by  steelheadslayer 
#1 ·
This past year I have caught all my steelhead on bobber and jig. I have tried a few yarn balls but not many (only caught a sucker). I have seen hawg quest always using them with eggs but I need help on how to rig them. Now I thread the ball on the hook and wrap the egg loop around it. Any other suggestion that will be easiest with eggs?

#2 ·
Without pics, this may be hard to decipher.

Start your egg loop but leave about 3" of line past the bend of the hook. Wrap your first 8 wraps or however many you use, I use about 16 to protect the eggs better. Have some pretied yarn cut into 2" sections of the colors you want and set them aside before you start the knot. Take your 3" tagend and lay it back alongside your initial wraps going out the hook eye leaving a loop large enough to lay your yarn into and a tagend out the hookeye for pulling your yarn tight. Now, if I haven't lost you yet, finish the final wrap of your egg loop, the 5 wraps at the end and put your leader end through the hookeye and pull it snug but not overly tight. Pull the loop tagend tight to cinch down your yarn and then pull the leader end to tighten your knot really well. Then you can trim the yarnie into the size you want while still maintianing a viable egg loop that you can open up anytime without losing your yarn.

Hope you followed that, it works out very well.

#7 · (Edited)
I take my yarn colors and pull them through a 6 inch piece of straw, I actually go to Dutch Bros. and get a couple of there fatty straws. Anyways, once the yearn is pulled through the straw I pull it back so only about a 1/4 inch, or so, is showing then trim a half circle in the end of the yarn. Then I use that spider line or magic thread, (the self adhesive thread) and I come right off the end of the straw and wrap it about 10 times as tight as I can get it. Then pull the thread out another 1/4 inch or so, depending on the size you want, and cut it off in another half circle. Roll it around in my hand and it's done. Almost no waste either and very quick.

Then here's another tricky part. After I make up 10 or so, I take a 18 inch piece of 6 pound test bring the two ends together to double it up and feed them through the eye of a needle about 3 inches in. The yarn balls will have a small knotted up area from the spider line. I feel that area and shove the needle though it and slide the yarn ball to about an inch from the end of the 6 pound test. Slide as many on as you can then pull the line out of the needle and tie a not. That is how I store them in my fishin bag.

Then when I wanna run a yarn ball, I take a piece of whatever leader I am running and tie a hook on with a normal egg loop. Then pull out your yarn balls on the 6 pound line. At the opposite end that you tied up there's the loop where the line doubles back. Stick about 6 inches of your leader in that loop and slide the Yarn ball right off the 6 pound line on the leader, just like those tricky dicky rubber bobber stops. You've now threaded the leader line through the middle of the spider line that holds you yarn ball together. Slide it all the way down the hook and run a bit of roe in the egg loop. I also like do run them this way cause the egg is below the yarn ball...

I only really use Steelhead Stalkers UV Yarn and I always use two different colors. Cause of how thick and full it is it really works well with this method.

Hows that make your head feel... I wish I had some pictures. It is all really simple to show someone... hard to explain by just typing. :flag2:

#8 ·
[
Hows that make your head feel... I wish I had some pictures. It is all really simple to show someone... hard to explain by just typing. :flag2:[/QUOTE]

If I only had pics it would have been easy. I can show anybody in a matter of a couple of minutes.:bearhug:

#9 ·
After experimenting for awhile and looking around ifound that tying a regular egg loop then threading the ball on the hook to the eye and pushing a fish pill tightly behind it works nicely..... I just need to wait to try it....

#14 ·
We started just making the yarn balls of all the colors you want and then I use a pretty good size needle and with your egg loop hooks and leaders pre tied. Just thread the leader thru the center of the yarn ball and put the leader back thru the eye off the hook. I like this because it is easier for my folks to grab the yarn ball to open the egg loop with cold hands to rebait. Also way quicker to make up then trying to tie in the egg loop knot. This works great for us.:wink:

#15 ·
oh ya I have some like that but I think the way im trying would be nice because u can get more scent in the yarn, i dont know im new to yarn balls but I wanna catch a least one on this up coming winter steeelie season...... But ya this is a great thread keep the tips coming

#16 ·
I think Steelhead slayer is basically tying a Nushagak knot using the loop that can be used for trailer hook, for the yarn.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, it's happened before:doh::palm::backlaugh:

Good thread!

#26 ·
I think Steelhead slayer is basically tying a Nushagak knot using the loop that can be used for trailer hook, for the yarn.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, it's happened before:doh::palm::backlaugh:

Good thread!
You know, now that I think of it, that's basically it. Not hard to tie, just takes some practice.

Steelhead junkie has it just the way i do it with the pics, thanks man!!!!

#17 ·
You can always square knot a piece or two of string around the shank inside the egg loop. That's how I fished yarn before using many "balls" I do like yarn balls a lot though! I just make a long egg loop so the ball does not get scrunched up at the top of the shank and do like you mentioned. Last time I fished the Wilson they seemed to be the ticket with some sand shrimp smeared on them! Orange with a black dot, pinks with pinks, pinks with white dots, all killers!! Just be sure to have enough buoyancy to keep the hook off the rocks. I like a small pearl pink corkie on a # 4 and a pea sized corkie or bead for 2s. . Good luck!

#18 ·
I make a loop through the eye easy enough right ??? then I tie an egg loop over the existing loop and I get this

then I put my yarn through that loop and pull its tag tight with a pliars. Trim my yarn ball and the tag above the eye easy as it gets

#20 · (Edited)
That is the set up right there. I'll sit down and tie 20 or 30 leaders, then cut all my steelhead stalkers yarn (two strips per) into 3/4" peices. Slip 2 of them in the bottom loop, pull with pliers, clip the tag with nail cutters. A quick little "roll" in your fingers and it's a yarnie. No trimming, or half mooning or anything superficial. Just Wham Bam, get it over with.

You have a yarnie that stays put, and an egg loop to add a little smellivision to it.

Fastest way I've found for tying them.

Thow a little glob of Nate's Bait red cured eggs in the top loop and start flopping steelhead in the box.

#19 ·
:yeahthat: that's how I do them, super simple.............

When I'm tying up leaders I always tie a few yarnies as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.