IFish Fishing Forum banner

Any Alsea fishing reports?

16K views 46 replies 31 participants last post by  bb2fish 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a report about how fishing has been in the Alsea for chinook?

#6 ·
The family and I went over and fished Sat-today. Was slow but managed to get one chrome hen for 3 days of fishing but was the wife's first Oregon salmon so still happy :) . Saw maybe 6 caught down on Drift creek and then fished up above Kozy using eggs. It was not good up high at all. I didn't see anything rolling up there either and think I will give couple weeks and try again.

I would stick with just trolling down low at this point, the water temp s really warm up in bobber water still so doubt that's helping either. The biggest problem down where we trolled was the salad was crazy. Had to clean off the gear about every 20 seconds :doh:

O

#12 ·
I will be just above Tidewater at one of the first few fishing holes; private property. I think if the water level rises a bit more, some fish may head upriver and get stuck in those holes if the water level goes back down. Basically I'm looking for confirmation that some fish are working their way upriver with the rising water levels over the past few days with the rain. I'll just watch the river levels closely the next two days and go from there. However, any continuing info or updates from those down there would be greatly appreciated.

#13 ·
:twocents:In August there are always a few of what they call Summer Chinook that go to the lower tribs on the Alsea. That spurt lasts just a few days and a few will always bite in the 70 degree water. With the good tides coming up fishing the jaws will be good but the weeds have been terrible (even worse than Tillamook). A few Coho are starting to show but the best is yet to come assuming they don't all get sucked upriver by a freshet or three like last year.

#17 ·
Dead as a doornail in the river from the 1st bank access spots all the way up to the deadline for Tuesday the 24th. It is rising as of right now; so fish should be coming in after this rain event on. I know that Monday was good for catching in the river, but it seemed to be the ******* that were marinating in tidewater. They are through and the river was relatively sparse with a lack of fish, but they will be coming in thick from tidewater (so we hope).

#18 ·
I have alot of drift boat experience (drift boat guide in alaska) but have never drifted the Alsea river. I am looking for suggestions of boat launches that would be good to launch at once the water starts to rise. Not looking for secret holes or anything, I can read water. Just looking for a suggestion with boat ramp names in an area within the first ten miles above tidewater. I also would be curious of any potential hazards on this stretch. Thanks for the help!

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
There's a put in at Barkley's brake, river mile 12 or 13. Its basically a "ninny ninny poo poo" slide, this would be your best bet to hitting the first holes above tidewater. Its kind of a sketch slide though so you might want to check it out first before launching. There's another slide below Ernie Walters but above Barkley's break, i just can't remember what river mile its on.

#22 ·
fresh water is still low not many fish above tidewater anyway. water temp is dropping. best fishing in drift creek area. fresh fish still coming into the bay. hit is spotty.

#25 ·
Couldn’t find an open seat, but got to fish! Just moved up here from AZ and need to start catching some real fish. Don’t have a boat yet, so I have a three part question: (1) where would be the best place from shore, (2) what times should I go, (3) how should I fish for them? Any help would be amazing, or open seat….

#27 ·
Going out on a limb here to say that by your post, you know absolutely nothing about our fishery. I'm not trying to discourage you by any way but just giving you the best advise I could give someone who has never fished for salmon or steelhead.

I have been an avid fishermen (all kinds) my entire life (I'm 55) and have never hired a fishing guide. If I had it to do over again, I would certainly do this and here is why. By hiring a guide, you will be put into an anglers time machine and come out the other end with the knowledge it would take you years to learn on your own. It may seem a little spendy, but if you think about it and do the math, you would be saving hundreds if not thousands of dollars in terms of what you will reap in relatively short time.
Now, this is not to say that you couldn't be a successful fisherman for these fish on your own; that would depend on you. Some just take to it better than others. I learned by going, watching, reading and being persistant but spent a lot of money, a lot of time trying different things that I thought I should be doing and using but was missing on little thinigs that made a huge difference. One other thing. Most fishermen would rather tell you than show you. Asking for an open seat may get you one, but don't hold your breath. If you don't hire a guide, buy a book on the subject and have an open mind and you must be persistant to learn how to catch fish with regularity.

Good luck

#26 ·
You have a week or so to get your gear together and find a location on what ever river you choose. The recent floods on coastal streams have brought down logs and debris and muddied all the water. I suppose many fish will make it to fresh water after the rivers drop and clear.

#34 ·
Any luck on the Alsea this weekend? Was there sunday (drift creek to taylors) didn't see one fish caught or in a boat. Heard at the dock 8 fish came through but sure wasn't that many for as many boats that were out there. Any idea why such low numbers or am I not getting the straight scoop?

#36 ·
Any luck on the Alsea this weekend? Was there sunday (drift creek to taylors) didn't see one fish caught or in a boat. Heard at the dock 8 fish came through but sure wasn't that many for as many boats that were out there. Any idea why such low numbers or am I not getting the straight scoop?
My wife got one at the jaws...only saw 4 others caught before we left. There were some caught in the stretch you mentioned. Saw two, and know of 5 others on our way up to Taylor's for lunch. Marked a lot of fish.
Good luck

#37 ·
Sunday (10/6) a group of us had 20 take downs and landed 8 coho and 3 chinook.
Also saw a few instagram posts of several more fish landed. I've never seen so many people parked on the side of the road on my way out to my spot--lots of people fishing!

Headed out again tomorrow...we will see what happens

#41 ·
I've never seen so many people parked on the side of the road on my way out to my spot--lots of people fishing!
and you wonder why that is? just saying that if you post 400,000 take downs, you get what you are asking for. 35 posts so far, and 6000 views.

the coastal rivers are all pretty simple: the river goes up, and then comes down, then groups of fish swim up and get caught or spawn. not saying you, but others, I don't understand why asking for reports, as it just brings tons of people to tight quarters.

river up, river down, fish, smile to yourself about your catch, repeat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.