IFish Fishing Forum banner

Oregon state record Crappie

9K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  mike edson 
#1 ·
Ok I know its winter and Im getting edgy about getting out there and going after the state record Crappie again this year. Is anyone other than myself chasing this record which has stood for so many years?

#3 ·
Crappie fishin is a blast!I have caught a few 2 lbrs but nothin over 3.Sauvies Island has some lakes that have some brutes.Where in Or. or Wa ya fishin? Good luck with that ! ( too bad we cant use live bait here,!)

#4 ·
January is a good time to catch crappie. They are in the deepest parts of the lakes and they will hit small jigs fished vertical and slowly. Go to any lake that has crappie and go to the deeper parts, whether it be a creek channel or just the deepest part of a bowl. It's just tough to stay with it in the cold and rain.

#6 · (Edited)
I have not caught a crappie of any great size in many years. I have a couple of Columbia River backwaters where I can catch good numbers of 6-8" fish, but I consider those marginal keepers. My personal best on the Columbia is a nice solid 12 inch fish.

Guess I missed the glory years of the Warner Lake Chain. Claims of 18" fish and 16 inchers being caught were common. Fished there once after the drought conditions with little success. Also tried Taft Miller, which I believe was devoid of fish and almost dry when I was there a few years ago.

Fished Brownlee and have caught huge numbers of fish....but nothing real big. Seemed like a 10-11" fish was large. I'm sure others here have done much better.

Biggest Crappie I have personally seen was laying dead on the surface of a private pond in Central Oregon. The fish was at least 16" and maybe larger. A true "dinner plate." I think the next record will come from a private pond/lake situation.

Good luck and post pics!

#8 ·
It could be out there but I would bet it never gets broken, especially the white. Even back south where they grow fast 4lb crappie are rare. A crappie has to live a long time to get that big. Brownlee could do it if we had a longer growing season. It takes 5 years for them to reach 12" over here. In 2003 the Idaho record black, 3lb 9oz, was caught by a 9yr old boy. In Nov 04 my party had 4 fish in the boat that totaled 10lbs. The biggest was 3.06. The 2 biggest that day were the same length as the boy's record fish, just not as thick. Those were the biggest my boat has caught in over 1000 trips the last 10 years. We should have a run of 2 -3 lber's in 2012 & 2013.

#10 ·
What is the state record for Crappie anyways..? Stealman Lake on Sauvies has some biggies.about 10 yrs ago i happen to be in the back in the slough part and got a stringer full of pounders but heard the one hangin on the wall at fishermans in hayden island was caught there.Dont know how true that is though.Been yrs since they have kinda closed it off(the gates) but they might be havin some big ol' specks in there since its a 1/2 mile to a mile walk through a cow pile infested field.Dont think anyone goes in there.Big cats in there too..

#11 · (Edited)
What is the state record for Crappie anyways..? Stealman Lake on Sauvies has some biggies.about 10 yrs ago i happen to be in the back in the slough part and got a stringer full of pounders but heard the one hangin on the wall at fishermans in hayden island was caught there.Dont know how true that is though.Been yrs since they have kinda closed it off(the gates) but they might be havin some big ol' specks in there since its a 1/2 mile to a mile walk through a cow pile infested field.Dont think anyone goes in there.Big cats in there too..
Oregon Record per ODFW site.

White Crappie:
4 lbs. 12 oz. Gerber Reservoir Jim Duckett 1967

Black Crappie:
4 lbs. 0 oz. Lost River Billy Bigs 1978

Oregon Record per internet big fish site

Black Crappie:
4 lbs. 6.1 oz. Corvallis Pond John Doss 1995
(Private Colorado Lake)

I saw a picture of that fish published in the Gazette-Times when it was caught. Not sure why ODFW does not recognize it?

Here is a picture of a 4 lb. 8 oz. crappie caught in '08 which is now the Illinois State Record to give you perspective:

#13 ·
Well I been chasin the big boy on the Willy. I've gotten some 12 inch all the way up to fifteen but they were skinny. But I have a feeling its coming out of the willy. Its tough to fish them in the winter on the river but once you find them its on. I've got them in sixty feet of water this time of year.

#14 ·
Wow thats a biggie..!! 60 ft deep huh crappie..?Never fished for them in the winter.I usually wait till the trees start bloomin..I catch them in the Willie but prefer not to eat them.Any one fish for specks above the Oregon City falls?...just wonderin..

#15 ·
About 8 years ago we got into a bunch of nice 16 inch white crappies right at the end of the burnt river arm of brownlee. We were throwing 3 inch crawdad cranks for smallies and these crappies were just hammering em. We didnt weigh any of them, but they were probably in the upper 2's with a few pushing 3 maybe. That was fun. The three of us caught 80 fish and kept like 20 for a couple of frys. Last year at oxbow, in may, it was snowing about 200 ft up the canyon wall from the res. It was cold. We found some crappie off of the rock wall in 110ft of water. The first one we pulled up stopped fighting after a few feet and came up like a rockfish, with its fins locked out, mouth agape, and eyes all bugged out, dead as a skunk. We thought it was rather funny. By far the deepest ive ever seen crappie, especially in mid/early may. Couple weeks ago was still catching crappie in 4 ft of water up at silver lake, but no real size to any of em.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.