IFish Fishing Forum banner

The all new ifish magazine! Get involved!

10K views 48 replies 35 participants last post by  rpavlick 
#1 Ā·
Hey you guys and gals!

I'm so excited to announce that this month we will be launching the all new "ifish.net Magazine"! I've been thinking about the possibility of this, ever since starting ifish, what? 12 years ago? And, now it's happening!

The ifish magazine will be an all digital, free magazine that you can download and read here on this website. The magazine will include feature articles, editorial, and stories about our ifish members. (And whatever you guys and gals think up!)

We are excited to have our community embrace this magazine as your own, so we need your help, involvement, and input! Volume 1 issue 1 comes out this month!
I would love to have everyone chime in, and tell us what you would like to see in this Mag.

Last but not least, in Celebration of the first issue, we are doing a photo contest!

Please email your best 2012 fishing photos tomagazine@ifish.net.

We are looking for your very best vertical shots that would work well for a magazine cover. From these photos we will choose the first ever cover shot of the ifish magazine!

The member who makes the cover will receive a $100 gift certificate to Fisherman's Marine!

Thanks very much for your feedback!

-Looking forward to your most excellent ideas!

Jen:flowered:

See less See more
#2 Ā· (Edited)
Apple has a service called "newsstand" it would be cool if it could be distributed there. People could subscribe to it and it would get downloaded to there iDevice. I'm just starting to play with it and think it is pretty cool.

Will there be contests like logo designs, coolest home made lure, biggest fish story (or real fish)? Someone like me could benifit from a basic skills section (like fishing in a riffle and what that is). A meet up feature something like "w0g0w4r will be at the west end of blue lake wearing a green cap on the fith of may, bring your trout gear"? classifieds? Online resource reviews (podcasts, web sights, newest change over at ODFW)?

#3 Ā·
Oh, great ideas! I love them all! :)

#4 Ā·
How about an educational article every month - maybe something on boater safety one month; something about how to properly release fish to best ensure their survival the second month; how to tell the difference between a coho and a chinook the third month; how to identify protected rockfish, etc. Maybe a group like OCEAN could help with articles of this kind.

#5 Ā·
That's a great idea.

In terms of what's in the magazine I think it should have a..

Boat maintenance section. Kind of like the boat doc thread on ifish.

Guides forcast..with setups and technique explanations. General times of the year for what fish you plan on targetting.

Fishing/hunting/boating safely..this would be a life saver. Literaly. Could have info on anything.g from bug bites to what to do should you get bit a rattle snake.maybe a YouTube video of proper anchoring, stressing the need for everyone to wear life jackets. I've grown up some. I never used to think I needed to wear a jacket. With the sad news every year of people drowning (yesturday especially on the Columbia) and losing my brother 2 years ago due to a watery death-I would rather be plucked from the water with a lifejacket on than be found days later.

Tip/rig of the month. Or technical advice.guys could submit their techniques or rigging methods.

Hunting section...hunter advice/stories/hunter safety education info. General seasons.

Maybe waterfowler section for the honker junkies?no offense guys, I know a lot of you take this sport quite seriously.

What magazine wouldn't be complete without a....OUTDOOR COOKING? with yours truly? Monthly article/write up with step by step procedures and pictorials? Monthly recipes focusing on the harvest/seasonal items. Fall and winter being reserved for of course wild game recipes as most of the hunting takes place fall thru winter.

Salty Dogs section for their addictions. Once again no offense guys, I'm feeling the itch and its only been my first full season out there last year.

Monthly picture contest? Grab bag prizes. Gift cards. Sponsor donations? Free publicity/advertising/exposure for participating supporters.

That's what I can think of right off the top of my head...please add or delete to this

#7 Ā·
Monthly column on fisheries management or maybe at least a listing of meetings scheduled for setting seasons/quotas. also updates on regulation changes even though those are usually posted on the SD board.

Occasional article by ocean scientists on currents, ocean acidification, seasonal conditions or anonalies, up-welling, hypoxic events (aka dead zones)

updates on total commercial catches, such as crabs, salmon, tuna, halibut and how those totals compare to previous years.

Canning and smoking tips from experts, such as the guy with Oregon Sea Grant in Astoria.

A monthly column showcasing efforts to improve fish habitat. Several groups do this and it helps us all and maybe seeing what some groups do will inspire other groups to form and do stream restoration/improvement too. Perhaps highlight some of the grants awarded by the R&E board.

A column on boating and fishing ettiquette, do's and don'ts, both for fresh and salt. Also for the ramp, launching and retrieving boats, helping others when they are alone etc.

ron m

#8 Ā·
OK, sorry to be a fuddyduddy. Just about everything that has been discussed above is already in Ifish today. You may have to look a bit, but it's all there.

Lordy, I already spend hours and hours here every day. Arggghhh!

#10 Ā·
Yeah but a magazine, or more aptly webzine would be all meat and no junk.

I know magazines make their money on ad space, just keep it to about 2/3 articles and 1/3 advertising and you would be golden. I don't subscribe to a lot of traditional and web magazines because they are 50/50 articles to advertising.

#16 Ā·
I think who ever gets on the front cover should be wearing a PFD. I promote safety, and if all the people published and well know showed they do to then more people would practice safety.

A good section would be to take from the tech, tips, and keeps section. Post some of the good things in there for people to learn. One thing i love reading is on how to fish new ways, or how to rig things up.

#19 Ā·
I just have to say.....

One day I was fishing on the bank, turned downstream, playing a fish. The river was quite high.

All of the sudden, a log that I hadn't seen came a floating downstream and hit me in the back of my knee.... HARD!

It took me down.

Yes, you should wear a life jacket on the banks of our rivers. That is, if you want to be safe!

I'm stupid. I still don't do it, but I know that I really should! Especially when fishing alone.

Don't laugh. I have lived here on the Kilchis for about 10 years, and in that time, I've had more than a couple close calls where a life jacket would have been a darn good thing to have on! Only once in a boat, in that same time period, did I wish I had a life jacket on, and didn't.

So, statistically for me, a life jacket on shore has been needed more times than in a boat!

But, please, let's not do a debate on life jackets, here. I just had to say that yes, life jackets on shore can save lives, too!

#20 Ā·
Jennie: I slipped on a rock in the McKenzie and my stupid hip boots filled instantly and started pulling me deep into a hole. I was not wearing a PFD (really dumb with "suicide" hip boots) and only got out of that pickle because it was not my day to drown.
Lesson learned!
Really looking forward to the recipes in the new mag!

#23 Ā· (Edited)
My point was I don't think someone should effectively exclude a good portion of our members. And that would be anyone who doesn't take a life jacket out of their car and take it down to the river to bank fish. And, in my 30 years on the Clackamas, I've never seen someone bank fishing with a life jacket.
It's like saying it should be a pic of a hunter wearing orange. It effectively excludes all bowhunters. I'm not trying to have a "life jacket" or a "safety orange" debate.

Sorry. I think a magazine could be interesting. It would be the stories and points of views of some members and that's great. But without the points of view of the rest. Kind of like a paper magazine.

#25 Ā·
You have your point of view I have mine, Promoting safety will show more fishers that wearing one is a smart idea. And the more big people that wear them the more people that will wear them. I have done over 350 promoting campaigns so i understand how it works. Just put it this way " if all the female movie stars or the majority of them started wearing turtle necks then the mass majority of girls would all of a sudden start wearing turtle necks. Us in fishing Magazines, TV shows, Adds, and so on pave the road for the fishing community. If guys do not want to go out and get a comfortable Inflatable PFD and wear it then that is there choice. My life is not worth a few Fish.

Catch 22 I am sorry if i rubbed you wrong in some way, there was no intention to. I wish the best of fishing to you.

#26 Ā·
I am rubbed a little the wrong way most of the time. :)

You are exactly correct in that we need to set a good example for the rest.

I'm NOT arguing safety. I wore a life jacket this Thursday in a driftboat on my home stretch of the Clackamas river. The PFD was not the debate.

Note: The following sentence is loaded with sarcasm and is for a chuckle only....
I think we should choose a picture of someone in a PFD wearing a safety orange hat, not holding a fish out of the water with fish-safe gloves, and a rubber net, wait... no net and single siwash hook hanging perfectly in the fish's mouth hooked from the inside corner without any blood that you can't really see because it's still in the water and without the use of bait unless the river has been certified to not have natives present.

There have I offended everyone equally now?? :flowered:

#27 Ā·
. Note: The following sentence is loaded with sarcasm and is for a chuckle only....
I think we should choose a picture of someone in a PFD wearing a safety orange hat, not holding a fish out of the water with fish-safe gloves, and a rubber net, wait... no net and single siwash hook hanging perfectly in the fish's mouth hooked from the inside corner without any blood that you can't really see because it's still in the water and without the use of bait unless the river has been certified to not have natives present.

Now that would be great to see LOL. It makes me wonder if anyone even has a picture close to this.:)

#31 Ā·
- Picture Tutorial; how to take good pictures, angle (get rid of the long arm hold) , composition, lighting.
- Product review with periodic updates on product.
- Ifish sponsor section where they can give in depth background on their product or service.
- Youth section, maybe written by the youth?

#33 Ā·
Twysted has it right on the money. There is only one choice for the cover picture of the first edition IFish Magazine.

Jennie must be on the cover.

She can certainly choose her favorite picture.

I try to keep an open mind about many things, but my opinion on this issue will not be changed.

Jennie must be on the first edition cover of the magazine.

Orion

#34 Ā·
Not a chance! But-- if you want to wear pink pajamas I would LOVE that!

#35 Ā· (Edited)
I think it appropriate to have a picture of Jennie on the cover and a brief article about her passion for the outdoors, and welcoming everyone to the new magazine.

Good information is priceless. Articles explaning techniques for various types of fishing would be helpful to many. I assume with modern technology there could be an occasional "how to" video.

#36 Ā·
Pink PJ's only on New Years Day at Mother's Bistro Brunch.

Question(s)

Will this webzine or magazine be subscription based?
Who will retain copyright of the articles and pictures provided?
Sponsor ads, or opportunity to advertise, is that included in our iFish Sponsor package, or will advertising in the webzine/magazine be an additional fee?
Who are the editors and will article writers have a final OK on changes made by the editors?
How will the article submission, solicitation and selection process work, obviously you can't use them all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.