IFish Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My NEW Custom Cataraft Fishing Setup!!! Canyon Whitewater Inflatables

44K views 97 replies 38 participants last post by  huntercgr 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, I got my new cataraft setup a few weeks back. I am currently on loaner tubes but mine will be 14' black with orange accented tubes.

I did a lot of asking around and got quotes from a lot of the biggest companies in the business. Many of them said "you can't do that on 14' tubes," or "I am not following what you mean by that." I went with CANYON WHITEWATER INFLATABLES out of North Bend, OR near Coos Bay. They are a younger company but have a lot of experience in the field of frame fabrication.

First getting into the boat you recognize that it is by far the most thoughtful design you have ever seen on a raft. Nothing interfers with anything else. The welds are amazingly clean and the workmanship is second to none. I had a laundry list of wants for this boat as I have had drift boats in the past and have done quite a bit of white water rafting growing up. I wanted this thing to be everything I ever wanted in a fishing/rafting vessel and this was it for me. It is unbelievably stable. The first trip I took 3 other guys, the total weight, if we were all naked without waders or jackets on was about 900 pounds. It performed beautifully, don't get me wrong it rowed heavy, but it floated very well with that much load. I wanted the ability to fish 2 up front and one in the rear, however, the majority of the time I will fish one up front and one in the back which is ideal. Unlike a drift boat, where it is very important to keep the weight balanced, this boat is incredibally stable regardless of where the fisherman are leaning, standing or fighiting the fish.

So, here is the list of wants and what you will see in the pictures below:
-Lean bar up front (removeable and swivels out of the way)
-125 Yeti for two fisherman up front with removable back rest
-The fish box is a dry box that is also where my feet are when I am rowing
-Anchor system
-Dry box under oarsmen's low back seat.
-Third row high back seating. IT IS CLUTCH. All my buddies love fishing out of her and there is plenty of room.
-Rod Storage will run across the top of the tubes (that is getting delivered soon)
-I went with 9'-6" Sawyer square tops and will never buy anything else again.
-Solid aluminum plated floor. This is a necessity for fighting fish and having the lexury of firm footing.
-Diamond plated step sides for easy in and out.
-Tackle trays up front for convenience.
-As with all of Canyon's stuff, all drybox's latch into place. If I turn this over in a big roller, the only thing falling out is the people in the boat.
-And I added a few cup holders that you will see on the back of the back rest for now.

So here are some pics of her. I will post more when I get my tubes and last lil touches.

It did take a little longer than quoted to get me the finished product but I couldn't be happier with the product.

You won't find a better frame fabricator. James and Canyon will bend over backward to please you with the product.

If you want their number or a peak at their site, here they are. Feel free to PM me with any questions on the product. Tell them Derrick Draper sent you there way.

SEE YOU ON THE RIVER!!!

*It looks like they have pictures of my frame on their site now in their photo album.

See less See more
#6 ·
I am jealous. I am curious about which tubes you selected, but I am going to guess Sotar. I live in Hillsboro. Is there any way I could take a look at the finished product? Of course, without being nosey I am curious about cost too. It looks like they did a hell of a job.

#12 ·
I am jealous. I am curious about which tubes you selected, but I am going to guess Sotar. I live in Hillsboro. Is there any way I could take a look at the finished product? Of course, without being nosey I am curious about cost too. It looks like they did a hell of a job.
The tubes are Canyon Tubes. The are a very high quality similar to Sotar. Feel free to PM me. You are more than welcome to stop by some time to see em.

#11 ·
The back rest is removeable. The floor is what they called Volcanized Aluminum which is welded in to the frame so there is no removing it. The front does have a turn up. I wouldn't hesitate to fun big water with this boat even with the solid floor..Maybe I'm nuts.

#15 ·
nice looking job on the build. is the frame aluminum or steel?? given the diameter, i would guess aluminum.

you might think a bit about that solid floor and class 3/4 water. virtually all cats running that sort of water have 'porous' floors, either webbing or heavy gauge netting to allow the water in and out. might want to chat with your builder about putting some big holes in that floor as heavy water is going to lift your boat and it could become unstable.

#16 ·
You should definitely hit your builder up for a trip, those boys will show you exactly what that boat can do. They have a couple Whitewater catboat rockstars that work at that company. Pretty safe bet that boat has been run through the gnar, they fish where most don't raft. That's what sold me on my 10'6 , they run the product.

I am working up my skills still before I go mingle on the river with them! I have been mostly on the Duc and the Coquille. I was at the Red barn up towards powers one day and their crew was taking out from a run from powers city through the canyon. It looked nasty in there from the road when I drove up to jacks to have lunch.

I don't know how many actually run all the way from powers down.

#20 ·
I was so glad to stumble across this thread. I have had a custom 12.6 fishing frame on order with Canyon for going on 5 months. James did tell me right up front that it would take at least 4 months due to their back log of orders. He still responds to email and will answer the phone, so I guess that I will just have to be a little more patient. Waiting on a new toy is so difficult!

This is my first cataraft, and I really did my homework before making the decision to go with Canyon. Being able to really customize to my likes was a big decision point. I have fished in the Outcast 1200 several times but it is a little rough around the edges for my likes. The fit and finish on the Canyon product is what sold me. There website does a real good job of showing the design and construction.

#31 ·
Bottom of the food chain: Rivendell

I just bought this "Used" 8' Rivendell Wave. Really excited to set it up to chase some steelhead and would really love to partner up with any of you that might be willing to take me under their wings and show me the ropes.
I live in Vancouver, Wa. am willing to go North or South to run some rivers.
Dave

#33 ·
Divin-Demon.

James sent me a photo of my finished raft last week. It looks like the custom job that I ordered, but I don't have a clue how old the photo actually is. As of today, the boat is supposed to be on a freight truck headed my way, but I haven't received a tracking notice....go figure! Anyway, I will let you know when/if I actually get the raft.
I received my raft today via UPS Freight and spent most of the afternoon unpacking and rigging. There was no shipping damage, and other than a set of seat bolts, everything was with the order. The fabrication appears to be top notch, and the fit and finish are exceptional. My oars/oar locks are coming under a separate shipment, and then I will be ready for water trials.

I really have mixed feelings about Canyon as I am happy to receive my order, but it took so very, very long to get it done. They build an outstanding product, but I just hope that they really improve their customer service.

Attachments

#34 ·
A whole lot of common sense went into that frame.

Excellent frame.

#35 ·
Thanks for the compliment. I fish narrow creeks and rivers in Southeast Texas as well as occasionally in the Texas Hill Country. Very little technical water to contend with, just lots of logs, rocks, etc. to dodge around. I had the frame narrowed from 36" to 30" in order to accommodate my particular needs. Still plenty of foot space and cargo area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.