IFish Fishing Forum banner

LEAD, I need Lead

855 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Miss B Haven 
#1 ·
I need a lot of lead. I need 2,000 pounds. I don't care if it's wheel weights or pure lead. The lead is for ballast. Anyone?

G
#3 ·
PM,
Depleted uranium?
Lead is dense and makes good ballast. In the sold metallic form it is relatively harmless.

ATC,

At one time I had about 3000 pounds but most is gone now. I have about 100 pounds of downriger balls (thank you BoE and plan on keeping it.
Could you use cement for balast?

#4 ·
Yes, I could use concrete but I want to keep the ballast as compact and low in my keel as possible to give the kind of ride I'd like. It might not make much difference but I'm just seeing what is possibly available.

#5 ·
Mike,
We used to use scrap cast iron with concrete to level and hold it in place (with as much lead as we could salvage for density) It isd better than concrete alone.
Just a thought, WP

:cheers:

#10 ·
Jen, better use nitrile gloves, not latex. Wouldn't want latex allergy, would ya? Oh and don't wear Gortex while doing it either. And don't do it after eating eggs, unless you chase it down with JD to counter-act the cholesterol. Excuse me while I have my 4th tuna sandwich this week.

#11 ·
I still wouldn't worry too much. I think lead poisoning will only cause you to become more decedant anyway. :sick: That's what happened to the Roman Empire. Lead poisoning caused them to start having orgies and stuff like that. :dance: Today it would be going fishing or some other similiar unworthy pastime. :cheers:

#12 ·
Albacore Tuna Captain - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
:bowdown: :dance: :grin:

PS- Raid every Les Shwabbs/Big O etc you can find. 2- 5 gallon buckets (around 200 lbs each) of tire weights cost me about 20 bucks (5 cents a lb) if I remember right. They sold em to me for the same price they get from the recyclers. This was about 7 years ago- so prices may vary!

[ 04-28-2003, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: Miss B Haven ]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.