IFish Fishing Forum banner

Is this enough boat for the Ocean

11K views 49 replies 37 participants last post by  Robalo Bill 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sure this has been asked before, I just want some opinions from the more experienced.

I own a 20 North River Scout, it has a 30" transom with a notch down to 25" for the main motor, motor is a tiller 150 hp with jet, side height is 33", with a 12 degree hull. The bow is completly open and there is no transom catch basin, if water comes over the bow, sides, or transom it with have to go through the bilge pump.

I was thinking if the ocean report is good; 1ft wind, 3 ft swell, and less than 10 mph wind I might give it a try.

Is it common for boats like this to get in trouble? What are your thoughs?

Thanks, Jeff

#2 ·
Pick your days and watch the tides and you should be fine for nearshore fishing. Add a healthy dose of on the water training on what your boat will do during crappy conditions. Just be sure to have the required safety items on board and a VHF radio.

#3 ·
I think that is plenty of boat for the ocean on nice days. I have a 18' Alumaweld but it has a slop well, it is a wet boat, spray over everyone every now and again. The ride is pretty rough as the bottom is relatively flat, 12 degree is very flat for the ocean.

A VHF is recommended, a kicker motor is needed as well for back up.

Be cautous and respect the ocean and you will have fun!

Good luck

#7 ·
Be careful, pick your days and only go out when it is nice. I have a similar boat, 20 ft Super V with 200 Jet, tiller, 6 degree bottom, shorter sides... I have crossed the CR bar several times over the years in this boat and I was knowingly taking a big chance each time, I do have 2 bilge pumps, GPS and a VHF on board. I only went over on soft tides, incoming only, nice weather, light wind and I came back before the ebb no matter what I had on board fish wise, watch out for kelp and other trash that will clog up your jet, it will happen I assure you and its a bad feeling when you loose power on the bar. I would also make sure my kicker was warmed up and ready to go before crossing the bar every time. I never felt like I was in danger, the boat is sturdy but its not designed or intended for use in rough water. I remember one trip while fishing buoy 10 I decided to run out and try to get a quick limit of silvers, a fog bank rolled in on me while I was out there, not paying attention and running back in when I should, I had to cross the bar in the fog by GPS and I took a few shots over the bow due to the swells being stacked up, motor was cavitating due to the slop and it being a jet... it was a scary trip to say the least and I kept thinking to myself... why am I out here in this open jet boat.... so bottom line is please be safe, pick your weather and wear your life jackets at all times ... good luck! I am sure others will chime in with expierence and I know your Scout is a little deeper than my Super V and the 12 degree will help also.

#8 ·
I remember one trip while fishing buoy 10 I decided to run out and try to get a quick limit of silvers, a fog bank rolled in on me while I was out there, not paying attention and running back in when I should, I had to cross the bar in the fog by GPS and I took a few shots over the bow due to the swells being stacked up, motor was cavitating due to the slop and it being a jet... it was a scary trip to say the least and I kept thinking to myself... why am I out here in this open jet boat....
That's the key phrase. I'm guessing that most of the Salty Dogs are biting their lips right now as this topic has come up again and again. It alway turns into an argument between guys with sled and jet boats versus guys with hardcore salty boats. Do a search for Jet, sled, open boat, etc. on the Salty Dogs page and you'll get plenty of reading.

The short answer to me is you can do it on flat days, but you should stay close, pay serious attention to the weather, pay even more attention to the tides, and never assume that you will be OK simply because you were fine last time in marginal conditions.

TF

#10 ·
Just use your good judgement when it comes to the ocean. She is not very friendly sometimes and Life is more important than any fish. You should have no problems on nice days, keep your ear to the marine radio forecast, tide changes when crossing the bar and estimated fuel range. Remember a 1/3 1/3 1/3 ruling when gauging your fuel consumption. In the rough water you will use much more fuel than on a smooth day. Good luck with your catching.

#12 ·
Biting Tounge.... Short answer is no. I would not go in a boat without a sealed deck. If you like risk and only want to fish a few days a year then maybe but you need to be prepaired and know what the dangers are. Evaluate the risk vs. reward and then Charter. :twocents:

#14 ·
I have fished the ocean in a sled for a 7 years. A couple points to make here.

1-A bilge pump is a tool to get water out of the boat. It is not to be used to constantly bail out hulls. If you are taking on water, you need to get the hell outa there. Make sure your floor drains in a reasonable time as well.

2-With a jet, I would keep a very close eye on the wind. If it comes up, get outa there before wind waves make cavitation an issue.

Keep an eye on conditions, listen to the vhf, pick your days very carefully, and listen to the little voice in your head. If you are not comfortable, leave. 10 miles on the calmest of days is about maximum. It depends on how fast you can get back in. I try to be 45 minutes at the most from the jetties.

#15 ·
I fish my C Dory 16 over 50 out often and close to 100 more than once. Make sure you have all your saftey equipment and a plan should something go wrong. Epirb's are recomended. Choose your running days well. Go out close to shore when it's blowing first to make sure you can deal with it if the weather goes bad! Buddy boats are good too!

#16 ·
whaler boys....your hull is a floating cooler with a ton of reserve bouyancy, will float level even if swamped and can run the water out by pulling the plug and going 5 mph, the hull swamped will also keep the powerhead above water. ..and if properly trimmed with the beak up will eat just about anything, you may need a kidney transplant..but that is a different subject..
your advice is I think based on your boat, the offered boat is vastly different.

oh and whalers have a very low Beam to L ratio, which helps in following sea, etc...

What would be more telling would the whaler boys offer to crew for you 20 out on that tiller sled.??????

A bucket and motivated crew are your best emergency bilge pump

..oh and before the flames start..I have countless hours beyond the sight of land in a 17' Whaler Newtauk (with kicker and 36 gal of fuel and 2 batts)

#17 ·
There is some good advice in here as well as a couple questionable comments... we'll just leave it at that... I would say do not go out without atleast a handheld VHF so you can call for help should you need it. Just be smart about it and don't have the attitude of 'oh it won't happen to me' or 'I have been navigating a boat for 20 years...' like most of the people who end up being rescued say. :)

#18 ·
You see these threads every year "Is my boat big enough for the ocean." In my opinion if you have to ask then it's not big enough.

I would strongly disagree with anyone who said that a 15 to 20 or even a lot of the 22' boats people are buying are ocean boats. There's a huge difference between the ocean and bay/river fishing.

Even on a nice day with a no wind forecast the ocean can change in a heartbeat and if your offshore more than a couple of miles you will be at it's mercy.

Remember it only takes one time to have something happen. And even you Whaler boys, what happens when you get caught in a big blow and an oversize wave catches you and pitch poles you like a cork. If your not tied to the boat then you most likely won't get back to it.

If you're going to fish the open ocean then get a boat that was made to be in that environment.

#19 ·
You see these threads every year "Is my boat big enough for the ocean." In my opinion if you have to ask then it's not big enough.

I would strongly disagree with anyone who said that a 15 to 20 or even a lot of the 22' boats people are buying are ocean boats. There's a huge difference between the ocean and bay/river fishing.

Even on a nice day with a no wind forecast the ocean can change in a heartbeat and if your offshore more than a couple of miles you will be at it's mercy.

Remember it only takes one time to have something happen. And even you Whaler boys, what happens when you get caught in a big blow and an oversize wave catches you and pitch poles you like a cork. If your not tied to the boat then you most likely won't get back to it.

If you're going to fish the open ocean then get a boat that was made to be in that environment.
:yeahthat::yeahthat:

#20 ·
:twocents:Ok, I know I shouldn't but I'm going to. It's not the make or the size of the boat or the hp of the motor pushing it. It doesn't matter to me if it's 26'(like the ones I've seen capsized off Garibaldi & the CR) or 16'(like the smoker craft I guided in through the fog 8 years ago)

It is the CAPTAIN. If you are going to take the responsibility to become part of the food chain then you must do so only if you are adequately prepared, especially if you are going to take others with you.

Preparation includes much more than state of the art electronics and fancy boats, it's knowing when not to go, how far out to go and when to stop and get back in. I've run boats from 16 - 21' and after many years on the water I learn something more every year, (I hope). Everyone who advocates caution, patience and preparation is right. Anyone who advocates it's no sweat and "you can do it" should be viewed with caution. At the same time you do not have to have the most expensive biggest and shiniest. I fish a 17' Arima and we do just fine.:flowered:

#21 ·
"Remember it only takes one time to have something happen. And even you Whaler boys, what happens when you get caught in a big blow and an oversize wave catches you and pitch poles you like a cork. If you’re not tied to the boat then you most likely won't get back to it. " :flowered:
I never meant to hit a sore spot but seems I did. the same Thing happens to a person in a whaler as in any other boat that the skipper puts out to sea and the sea gets angry. I have had bad and good days on the water if it is too rough to be out and have fun go in period better yet don’t go out in the first place storms don’t happen in seconds and are normally forecast well in advance. I have seen days on the ocean that a inflatable raft would of worked fine and seen days that the queen e would be looking for port. The bottom line is all boats are is a tool. Use one that works for you and you can afford it doesn't take a 50 footer to be safe on the ocean and as we all know the ocean has eaten a lot of 50 footers :twocents:

#27 ·
NO! If you need to ask, that should give you an indication of your ability of seaworthiness of your craft and reading the weather. Look at the fatality rate on the Tillamook bar.......with seasoned, commercial skippers. If I have to think about fishing versus losing my boat and life...then NO!

#28 ·
High transom, lots of freeboard, beam, adequate power, hull design, these are things that, in my opinion, are far more important than vessel length when considering seaworthiness, but first and foremost is seamanship and boat handling. I've been in a flat bottomed oar powered 10' open skiff in a blowing gale and no worries. The most important item is the head on the shoulders coupled with experience. Knowing what to do and when to do it, as well as knowing what never to do.

#29 ·
Watch your back side and stay out of seas more than 7 maybe 8 with waves breaks less than 5 or 6 seconds... Dangerous stuff happens on the Ocean and it won't apoligize if it takes your boat... Be Safe and Carefull
Dan

#32 ·
When the Coast Guard checks you out, every question and response is directed towards and answered by the captain. The captain is the person running the boat. If your saftey flares have expired you WILL get a ticket. If you flame arrestor is dirty you WILL get a ticket. The point I'm trying to make is you have to be ready to tell the people with you the ocean is too rough in your estimation and turn around and go fish else where or go home. The hardest thing to do, is tell people who have taken the day off of work to go fishing that as the Captain the ocean is to rough for your craft when boat after boat is launching and going out.

#34 ·
Does anyone else remember when the Abby Hotel, Seagull Landing, the old Harry's Bait and Tackle all rented 16 foot boats. I remember seeing them all around the whistle bouy and some brave souls even went as far as the rockpile on a good day. The Abby's boats were fiberglass the others were wood. I guess what people consider safe changes with the times. I own several boats, the one I use most is a 14 foot Livingston and I have had it out off the lighthouse halibut and silver fishing a few times. The ocean was like a calm lake on those days or I wouldn't have been there. The weather, your experience and a little common sense may be more important than the size of your boat.

#41 ·
That would be around the same time I was in high school. In chemistry class our teacher let us handle mercury with our bare hands, lots of fun. We also kept our sports equipment in a storage room in the gym beside a lot of head cracking cast pipes. Thank goodness they were wrapped with a protective layer of asbestos insulation. For some reason they don't do that anymore.

#35 ·
I have a 20' Longton which is similar to your NR and have fished it in the ocean quite a bit for salmon and bottom fish, picking and choosing the right ocean conditions. Last year was the first time I fished it for tuna. We went out 30 miles and although the boat did ok as it was a pretty nice day (3/2), I decided that I would buy a bigger boat when we got back in. Even when the ocean is fairly calm at 3/2, I've seen it shift to 6/3 in a hurry and that's not fun trying to get back with an open bow and a fairly flat bottomed boat that your jet will barely get the bow up a foot or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.