IFish Fishing Forum banner

Yaquina Bay / River Salmon

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Bergy9 
#1 ·
I have heard from several people that the Yaquina can be good for Salmon, so I was thinking about giving it a try. I was figuring drop a few crab traps, and maybe get lucky and pick up a chinook. Any suggestions for fishing in the bay or the river, areas to work, depths to fish, ect. What do you use, herring or spinners? My Buddy wants to try the Alsea, and neither one of us has been on that river.

#2 ·
I think trolling plug cut herring is the norm over there. I would say make a dropper about 2-3 feet long and let it bounce the bottom every once in a while. I like to use about a 4-5 ounce weight at the end of my dropper. Then I generally tend to use about a 4-5 ft leader connected to my spinner or herring. I have caught fish on both, and as far as spinner colors I like the coast guard colors myself. Red/orange and white. Those colors seem to work pretty good. :smash:

Also another helpful hint, use as many swivels, bead chains, and snap swivels as possible so your line doesnt get all twisted.:twocents:

#3 ·
I think trolling plug cut herring is the norm over there. I would say make a dropper about 2-3 feet long and let it bounce the bottom every once in a while. I like to use about a 4-5 ounce weight at the end of my dropper. Then I generally tend to use about a 4-5 ft leader connected to my spinner or herring. I have caught fish on both, and as far as spinner colors I like the coast guard colors myself. Red/orange and white. Those colors seem to work pretty good. :smash:

Also another helpful hint, use as many swivels, bead chains, and snap swivels as possible so your line doesnt get all twisted.:twocents:

I agree, but I use a 7-8 foot leader and use a couple of extra chain swivvels, they will also catch the bay salad and keep your stuff clean a litle longer, tie good knots, the more knots you have is not good!

#4 ·
I should clarify, I generally tie my main line to a snap swivel, then tie my leader to a bead chain or another swivel, and finally tie on another snap swivel at the end to which the spinner will connect to. And then for herring I do the same except dont have the snap swivel at the end. :twocents:

:cheers:

#6 ·
Im not exactly sure how strong they are, but I think they are rated around 175 lbs. And I ALWAYS use locking snaps. I think they are made by Berkley too. Not totally sure on all this, because I have used the same ones for a few years. :twocents:

#7 ·
I'll tell ya' what kind they are, MINE! Ha Ha! I bought a box of 100 a few years ago of the berkeley coast-lock type and he's been pilfering them ever since... :eek:

#9 ·
Bergy, I'll be down there Sat & Sun trolling above the oyster house to Toledo. Flat bottomed Fishrite, trolling with a bowmount electric. If ya see us say hi :wave:

Most of the guys I know that fish the stretch of the river/bay above Sawyers, fish spinners with a 2 - 3' dropper. Standard issue #6 or 7, Thumpers.....Red/white, green dot, brass, whatever you have faith in. I'm going to pull a wrapped Kwiky for a while on Sat.

GOOD LUCK!

#11 ·
The other place to fish is out in front of the big green storage tank in the main bay. A lot of people drop crab traps in the area as well. You also see folks on the bank in the area casting spinners.

For lures, try a green tipped rainbow spinner with a piece of herring on the hook for flavor.

#12 ·
Talked to the brotherinlaw this morning, He is fishing as I write.
Has been a great week fishing/ NO CATCHING. The crab are big & full, some but not limits.
He says the guides are doing great catching fixh every day.
Trolling Hering with a diamond shaped green flasher(must have special scent)
Going done Sunday for a week.19' NR Mariner white. :angel: :bowdown: :bowdown: :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.