IFish Fishing Forum banner

flashight for the pack?

4K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  StevenB 
#1 ·
Looking to get a new flashlight for archery. I have a little streamlight that works ok, just want some more power!

If somebody has one that is small, light, and very bright. I would sure like to know the name and model of it.

Thanks in advance!!

#4 ·
Love my Fenix LD20...(2) AA batteries, different modes, up to 180 Lumens, good battery life, works with rechargeables, will clip to the bill of a sturdy cap, will stand upright...

#10 ·
+1. My Fenix LD22 is 190 Lumens, and uses AA like everything else: Much better to have a flashlight in hand than a headlight when walking and scanning for a downed animal.

#22 ·
X3 for the led lenser. Light and very bright. One of my requirements is that all my electronics use the same batteries. AA's. This is the brightest one I could find and still using AA's.
The headlamps I saw all take AAA.
Which model takes AA?

P

#15 ·
i have 2 of the cheap cabelas clip lights on my pack (one on each shoulder strap) and then i have a larger clip light on cap. so in all i have 3 i use 20 shine the direction my shoulders are facing and produce a good amount of light, the other shines where ever my head is facing. i love this system it is hands free and is plenty of light at night, and very light weight i bet i do not have more then 4oz of weight in the whole setup.

#17 ·
Thanks guys!!
That's why I like ifish, I was leaning towards the surefire xl

But I have to check out these fenix lights, I don't know how I've
never heard of them?!?

I have a headlamp I really like, but when im tracking an animal at night I like
to use both.

#19 ·
I use LED headlamps as well. Some are high output and some aren't. I think a guy should have a mix. But I keep a modest Princeton model in my hunt pack at all times as backup to my regular one.

What I look for in a LED lamp is; output lumens, run time & minimum 3 modes....high, med, low. Compare differant models to find those that are efficent.
You can do a search on this forum as we've discussed headlamps before.
Lots to choose from.
Hunt'nFish

#26 ·
Concerning the Mini-Mag upgrade kits......
Yeah, mine's the 1w high output model from Nite-Ize w/ push button added.
It's certainly an upgrade in output & battery life, but still wish it were brighter.

Like others have mentioned I do like to have as many of my electronic gadges all using AA's so that each can be use in the others when needed.
I'll have to check out some of these AA LED headlamps you guys have mentioned. Right now my headlamps are all AAA, which violates my rule.
But I guess I rationalize it as ok, since my backup is the Mini-Mag w/ AA's.
I will say I am happy with the headlamps I do have, they all are very rain resistant and have served me well for a few years now.

I have one Coleman headlamp that is REALLY bright that I use while running the duckboat at night. It' like having a spot light on your head. It eats the batteries, but oh well...it's bright!
Hunt'nFish

#27 ·
I've used Fenix headlights for three years at work and on hunts. Zero failure except the elastic bands wore out. I use headlamps every day at work. On the brightest sunny days it's still dim lighting inside the engineer om and galley.

I buy them on eBay.

Coastal, Black Diamond, and others have all failed in less than a years use.

If I were to have a headlamp surgically implanted I'd opt for the Fenix brand.

A recent model keeps the on off button covered when the light is folded up.

SB

#28 ·
I use one everyday also. Its a clipon lite that stays clipped on your hat when you put it there. It uses 3 AAA and has 3 settings, Red,High and,Low has 3 LEDs .Its made by Ever Ready. You can get it at Home Depot The batteries last a long time. Like I said I use it everyday. With no strap its easy to use handheld and it costs 4 BUCKS!!!

#30 ·
I use one everyday also. Its a clipon lite that stays clipped on your hat when you put it there. It uses 3 AAA and has 3 settings, Red,High and,Low has 3 LEDs .Its made by Ever Ready. You can get it at Home Depot The batteries last a long time. Like I said I use it everyday. WWith no strap its easy to use handheld and it costs 4 BUCKS!!!
Sounds great! I've only seen hat brim lamps that used disc batteries that tend to co$t more and have low light levels. It'll be a while till I can get to a Home Depot. Hope they don't discontinue them.

I have a couple different led headlamps. One is even an energizer from wallyworld and it is fantastic. Especially for the price. Was under $20 if I remember right.
I've had lights under $20 last a long time compared to a lot of high end brands. Coastal has a local office where I take in my broken nonfunctioning Coastal lights to exchange at no cost. The down side is the headlamps have broken every time in less than a year.

I've bought a brand at Fred Meyers that's about 19.99 or less and had a lot of success.

SB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.