IFish Fishing Forum banner

new menber

736 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  SalmonNilla 
#1 ·
Hi, my name is craig and i've been lurking for some time. During the last year i've read many post and feel that I can contribute to this board. I've learned nearly everything I know about salmon and steelhead the hard way. I hope that some people out there will have a easier time than I did. Well then, here is my story. A few years ago,me and my buddy drifted a stretch of the santiam river. We never researched this particular drift. Most of the mourning we draged his dift boat down the river. We proceeded through some great whitewater which took us unexpectantly around a swift corner and into a steep bank. A bunch of partially submerged tree limbs caught the side of the boat . I looked up to see my fishing rods about to be broken as the limbs were starting to lean our drift boat to one side. Water then started to come in the boat. After a lot of yelling and pushing we some how managed to move on in one piece. "Thank god" I thought, until it was time to get out again and pull the boat down stream . Well, we finally got drifting another time. we then came to a dam and continued past it. The river started to slowly get faster, deeper and louder, until I could see a small dam in front of us releasing water. In a panic my partner started rowing as I held on as tight as i could to a submerged log, he then tried to start his little trolling motor, which finally started. While motoring back upstream, I heard a familiar sound which told me it was time to get out again and pull the boat upstream. After we could pull no more, we walked, up the steep bank, on to a mans property and asked for help. Ten minutes and a phone call later, his brother pulled up to winch us out and give us a ride to the take out. there was one last problem the keys to the car at the take out were in the truck left at the launch. That was 15 years ago. I have never been back since but believe it or not, I'am looking for a drift boat.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.