IFish Fishing Forum banner

The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread

686K views 2K replies 568 participants last post by  Chrome brights 
#1 · (Edited)
:excited:

I saw that we had one Chinook pass Bonneville dam on January 1. Right on schedule.. Yes it could be a lost king.. Maybe a lewis river winter king...? I doubt it... But I am just getting excited and thought it was time to have this post started... Good luck, be safe out there, and remember last year's first was caught super early!!

#373 ·
Re: The 2014 Official Spring Chinook Thread... 'Springa-Time!!'

Today was a day when only manly men were in evidence on the river. Plugged my pump twice with debris. Had a major log hit the anchor rope. Depth finder quit working. It was cold, it rained, the water was dingy. There was not even the hint of a fish. Not even a chub or sturgeon bite on my sandshrimp and egg cocktail that I was drowning. And yet, we had a good time.

Fished out of Kalama, heavy debris in the water in the morning, lightening by afternoon, concentrated on the washington side. Oregon side was clearer of debris, but muddier. Water was 41.9 on my DF befoore it gave up the ghost.

#378 ·

From yesterday (Sat. 2/15). The water did warm up 7 degrees. Working the FS83 for a change:

From last Monday (2/10) the Ports of Goble, OR and Kalama:

I'm not fishing today. We had gusts of 50 mph last night at home.
CW

#380 ·

Your pics always make Kalama look inviting...even in the snow :applause: seeya on the water soon :flag2:
Sgt. Slaughter!!!!

Where ya been dude, you are my favorite ifisher of all time! We've missed ya!:bearhug::bearhug::bearhug::bearhug::bearhug::bearhug::bearhug::bearhug::bearhug::flowered:

#383 ·

Just livin the dream man...Slaughter Jr. takes time to mold to perfection :cool: thanks CCW I have the 4th-7th off to fish I'll hit ya up

Back to reports......:wink:

FISH ON

Sarge
You are welcome on my boat too!

I need to get your autograph, I got Megabytes at the sportsman's show, (he signed my fishing license) now I got to get yours. I think I am going to start a collection of ifish autographs on this years fishing license. When I get all of the icons I'll put it up for sale on ebay and make a enough to retire!:laugh:

#384 ·

We were on the water today from Fred's up to I-5. Just running the new motors.

River conditions report:

Willamette, 43 degrees and VERY muddy. About 3" visibility and LOTS of wood in the water.

Columbia at Davis to I-5 - 36.5 degrees, good color. There were a couple seals (NOT sealions) working the seam between the mud & clear water.

There was one beautiful hard top Alumaweld that looked like they were trolling the Davis area......HARDCORE!!!! It was pretty tough out there.

I'll thaw some herring in a few weeks.

Now you know what I know.

#387 ·

We made 4 passes davis to cat in that alumaweld. Wasn't to bad

We were on the water today from Fred's up to I-5. Just running the new motors.

River conditions report:

Willamette, 43 degrees and VERY muddy. About 3" visibility and LOTS of wood in the water.

Columbia at Davis to I-5 - 36.5 degrees, good color. There were a couple seals (NOT sealions) working the seam between the mud & clear water.

There was one beautiful hard top Alumaweld that looked like they were trolling the Davis area......HARDCORE!!!! It was pretty tough out there.

I'll thaw some herring in a few weeks.

Now you know what I know.

#396 ·

River Update, Just got this picture from the deck boss of CR water above the Willamette. Says vis is 4' or better. After sending this pic he drank it and said it tastes like fish. I just got sick so have to leave work now... will update with pictures on the water.

Attachments

#398 ·

River Update, Just got this picture from the deck boss of CR water above the Willamette. Says vis is 4' or better. After sending this pic he drank it and said it tastes like fish. I just got sick so have to leave work now... will update with pictures on the water.
"Says vis is 4' or better"

If you are talking about the CR=Columbia River above the Willy, I am sorry to tell you that 4 feet of visibility is a fairy tale. I was there today with about 20 other boats. Talked to a lot of them. All had the same story...me included....NADA. Visibility was about 2 feet no way 4 feet. Beautiful day to be out on the water with the sunshine, but catching was non-existant. there were no seals sea lions around either. The only seal I saw was working off the mouth of the Lewis. The Lewis is pretty with a clear blue green color. Water temp registered at 45 degrees.

#400 ·

I agree with Megabyte. Fished by him today and visibility was 2 foot at best. Water temperature was about 39. Fished I-5 to Caterpillar for about 6 hours and marked a few fish. Did see two sea lions in the afternoon. One looked like it was eating a salmon with seagulls hovering over. Have not seen that on previous trips out. Nice weather and flat river this afternoon after a foggy start.

#401 ·

I have 16ft bay runner with 30hp main and 8hp kicker, and was wondering if that was ok to fish the Columbia in around I-5 to frenchmens. I usually fish the willy but that's is not a option right now.

#402 ·

I have 16ft bay runner with 30hp main and 8hp kicker, and was wondering if that was ok to fish the Columbia in around I-5 to frenchmens. I usually fish the willy but that's is not a option right now.
I would fish buoy 10 in that! No problems my friend.

#405 ·

Thanks for the reply's everyone I figured my boat would be find. I just wanted reassurance because I know how dangerous the CR can be and I am not one to disrespect a river. With that in mind hope to see ya out their this year, and hit me up if you have an open seat

Fish on!!!

#407 ·

0/0, 2 rods, two hours, trolling herring on the columbia. About 6-10 other boats out. Water 39 degrees, still off color, but not too bad.
Basically took the boat out to see if all is good after the freeze.
Debrie floating around.
No furbags.

#411 ·

Ace thanks for pointing out the "newbie" factor, but anyways I was the one on the end of the pole and did get it to the boat. Yes after you handed it to me! Haha. It was a beautiful fish to bad we didn't have the go pro rolling.

#414 ·

Fished CR again today, on the WA side above the WR water was good, could see the flashers an easy 4 feet, i think if there were more fish in the system it would be good fishing. Side note: one dude fishing the bank said he lost count of how many fish he caught...not sure if I believe him though.

#419 ·

Fished Davis Bar today on my springer shakedown trip. Water looked ok. Guessing 3ft visibility? Fished from 11-3. No action for me and I didn't see any nets flying while I was there either for maybe 8-9 other boats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#420 ·

Man all this talk i gotta get down there and do a test run. Too many last minute things have prevented me... You know family, rain, SURGERY... The tides saturday look promising. Might have to hit up Cathlamet to do a test run.... I'll be interested to see what transpires between now and then....Keep the reports coming guys....

#526 ·

Man all this talk i gotta get down there and do a test run. Too many last minute things have prevented me... You know family, rain, SURGERY... The tides saturday look promising. Might have to hit up Cathlamet to do a test run.... I'll be interested to see what transpires between now and then....Keep the reports coming guys....

#422 ·

Fished Caterpillar Island and Davis today, along with 6 other boats. Didn't have any action or saw any action. Did see some seagulls picking up smelt in front of Frenchman's. Water temp was 40-degrees to start and went down to 39.6 at noon.

#423 ·

So Saturday is a go. Normally fish Cathlamet, puget island area. I have heard you guys talk about the I5 area. Where do you fish around there, and launch from the Washington side. Also the Longview area. Where do you normally fish. PM me if you want.

#424 ·

So Saturday is a go. Normally fish Cathlamet, puget island area. I have heard you guys talk about the I5 area. Where do you fish around there, and launch from the Washington side. Also the Longview area. Where do you normally fish. PM me if you want.
If it's fishable in your neck of the woods, stay down there.

I would only run up if above the Willamette was the only fishable section.

#425 ·

Report for today- Trip #3. Made several passes at Davis and one pass at Caterpillar. Water clarity okay at Davis about 2 foot maybe a little more but further down was less. Soft tide had Willamette flow spread out. Didn't see or hear of any fish and only marked a couple. Water temp was between 39 and 40. East wind picked and made a fun trip back by the bridges. Saw one seal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.