www.ifish.net

www.ifish.net (http://www.ifish.net/board/index.php)
-   Fish & Game Management (http://www.ifish.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Why I LOVE gill nets... (http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=498993)

eyeFISH 09-17-2013 05:31 PM

Why I LOVE gill nets...

http://watchdog.org/105626/catching-...ent-dead-loss/

https

Bait Bucket 09-17-2013 05:34 PM

Re: Why I LOVE gill nets...

where is that?

Ry-Ry 09-17-2013 05:36 PM

Great spot to bear hunt.:excited:

stillinscrubs 09-17-2013 05:41 PM

Oh no the gillnetters and commercial fisherman are now in the crosshairs of the gold and copper mines. I'm guessing big oil will join the fray next.....

The commercial guys better clean up their acts real fast or they will be toast.....

Salmon_Wacker 09-17-2013 05:58 PM

And why do you think this is from gillnets? Could very well be from sportfisherman.

C.J.D 09-17-2013 06:36 PM

Yeah, I don't see a net on the beach.
Could be a number of things.
Its really interesting how people always blame a commercial fisherman.
They don't think it might be sport fishermen;
Perhaps, Alaska and a native catch for dogs.
Eyefish, so where is this ?

ifishaton 09-17-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C.J.D (Post 5045681)
Yeah, I don't see a net on the beach.
Could be a number of things.
Its really interesting how people always blame a commercial fisherman.
They don't think it might be sport fishermen;
Perhaps, Alaska and a native catch for dogs.
Eyefish, so where is this ?

Read the article........ Tells ya where it's at.....

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 2

Salmon_Wacker 09-17-2013 06:49 PM

Maybe they should cut the bellys and see if the eggs are still in them. Could very well of been spawned out.

MsOutdrs 09-17-2013 07:00 PM

Look pretty bright colored for spawned out salmon.

There must be a lot of sporties there...to account (or blame) for THAT many wasted fish.

Salmon_Wacker 09-17-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsOutdrs (Post 5046065)

There must be a lot of sporties there...to account (or blame) for THAT many wasted fish.

They look white and rotten like any fish would look spawned or not spawned.

scottsduckboat 09-17-2013 07:32 PM

Click the top link to get the story

LawFish 09-17-2013 07:44 PM

Seriously EyeFish? Consider the source. If I were to post something pro-gillnet from Salmon for All you would crucify me......but the Pebble Mine Coalition is a credible source on this issue? How credible is an organization that attacks gill netters but shows a picture of a seine boat?:doh:

Better yet, you post a video that purports to be net drop mortality but you have nothing to back up the claim. That would be like me going to Grays Harbor and seeing a couple blind people on the street and assuming they are blind due to your malpractice. From a legal standpoint your video wouldn't stand up to proof even under a res ipsa loquitur standard. There is a fine line between criticism and defamation.

I wish I had taken a video of the dead fish floating down the Columbia this fall (especially when no gill net fishery had occurred the night before.) I bet when people see the number of dead fish caused by sport releases in warm water, they will have second thoughts about the "conservation ethic" of sportsmen. Stones and glass houses.

By the way I have seen Alaska beaches covered in pink carcasses like that when the runs were so huge that the spawning tribs were too full and the remaining fish tried spawning on the beach (utter fail!)

LawFish

LawFish 09-17-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsOutdrs (Post 5046065)

If you think those fish look bright maybe you should have EyeFish check your eyes. Perhaps he can prescribe some rose colored glasses. :doh:

LawFish

MsOutdrs 09-17-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawFish (Post 5046761)
If you think those fish look bright maybe you should have EyeFish check your eyes. Perhaps he can prescribe some rose colored glasses. :doh:

LawFish

Well let me check em again...the fish, not my eyes! lol

Look bright or washed out...I'll choose bright. In contrast, there are a few dark ones...but very few. You want to make an appt with the doc? I dare you after your insulting remarks to him. Does white-tipped cane have a familiar ring?

LawFish 09-17-2013 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsOutdrs (Post 5047122)
Well let me check em again...the fish, not my eyes! lol

Look bright or washed out...I'll choose bright. In contrast, there are a few dark ones...but very few. You want to make an appt with the doc? I dare you after your insulting remarks to him. Does white-tipped cane have a familiar ring?

You're not suggesting that EyeFish's skills will leave me blind are you? :whistle:

Those fish look like white carcasses. Many don't have eyes indicating they have been dead for some time. Too bad we don't have smell o vision to confirm my observation......I bet it would be one revolting beach! The one exception may be the Chinook at around 25 seconds......but look how high that fish is on the beach. That is way above the tide line so something must have dragged it there. Just my 20/20 observations.

LawFish

eyeFISH 09-17-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawFish (Post 5046761)

LawFish

It's early July... the fish most certainly were killed in gill nets.

The fish ARE bright. Maybe YOU need an eye exam?

Or perhaps an education in what mature or spawned out sockeye look like?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/me...e-salmon_1.jpg

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/so...e_spawning.jpg

eyeFISH 09-17-2013 08:48 PM

As for the lack of eyes.... it's the very FIRST thing the birds pluck outta the fish. They'e gone within a few minutes.

Read the article...

The guy who filmed it IS a commercial fisherman who freely admits the loss of hundreds of thousands of sockeye as a customary part of doing business, an everyday occurrence that has historically never raised an eyebrow among the gillnetting community.

Take 10 million fish and even 1% of that catch is 100,000

It's what I call the "land of plenty" syndrome.... the waste is simply considered inconsequential.

jfisher 09-17-2013 09:07 PM

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause: NICE VIDEO!!!!

You can spin gill nets what ever way you want to spin them, but the brutal truth is they are brutal when it comes to wasting fish, including by catch.

Keta 09-18-2013 05:22 AM

This is not a gillnetter.

http://watchdog.wpengine.netdna-cdn....ishing-rig.jpg

Float Bags 09-18-2013 06:24 AM

Am I reading this correctly, the author is blaming the commercial fishing industry for these dead fish on the beach, then goes on to say they are also dumping their used oil and antifreeze in the water. Then goes on to defend strip mining the Bristol Bay water shed.

The Internet is an amazing thing, put something out there and guys like Eye fish will buy in because it fits into his agenda.

This article is nothing more than an accusation, not one lick of facts, written by some watch dog group that lives for a video like this. They could of at least used a picture of a gill net boat to support their accusations.

I can run down today and take a video of dead fish on the banks of any of the Columbia tributaries, they are covered with dead fish this time of year, then I'll send it to this watch dog group, maybe we could blame eye doctors for dumping their office chemicals up stream causing the environmental disaster.

I'm going down and dump my used engine oil in the River.

Float Bags

Slim Morstad, a biologist for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game’s Division of Commercial Fisheries for nearly 30 years, says it happens.

“It’s illegal but people do it,” he said, noting dump outs of oil, hydraulic fluid, antifreeze and other environmentally dangerous materials. “Hopefully, it’s rare.”
In fact, it’s hard to say how prevalent the practice of dumping is. As biologists like Morstad would say, it’s just the commercial fishing rigs alone in the water with their nets and their consciences.
Officials from several agencies, including the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, could not specify the frequency of environmental spills and other violations associated with the commercial fishing industry because the incidents are not broken down by industry.

QUOTE=eyeFISH;5044873]http://watchdog.org/105626/catching-...ent-dead-loss/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUd1v1z5kk[/QUOTE]

keizer rapids 09-18-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Float Bags (Post 5049449)
Am I reading this correctly, the author is blaming the commercial fishing industry for these dead fish on the beach, then goes on to say they are also dumping their used oil and antifreeze in the water. Then goes on to defend strip mining the Bristol Bay water shed.

The Internet is an amazing thing, put something out there and guys like Eye fish will buy in because it fits into his agenda.

This article is nothing more than an accusation, not one lick of facts, written by some watch dog group that lives for a video like this. They could of at least used a picture of a gill net boat to support their accusations.

I can run down today and take a video of dead fish on the banks of any of the Columbia tributaries, they are covered with dead fish this time of year, then I'll send it to this watch dog group, maybe we could blame eye doctors for dumping their office chemicals up stream causing the environmental disaster.

I'm going down and dump my used engine oil in the River.

Float Bags

Slim Morstad, a biologist for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game’s Division of Commercial Fisheries for nearly 30 years, says it happens.

“It’s illegal but people do it,” he said, noting dump outs of oil, hydraulic fluid, antifreeze and other environmentally dangerous materials. “Hopefully, it’s rare.”
In fact, it’s hard to say how prevalent the practice of dumping is. As biologists like Morstad would say, it’s just the commercial fishing rigs alone in the water with their nets and their consciences.
Officials from several agencies, including the Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation, could not specify the frequency of environmental spills and other violations associated with the commercial fishing industry because the incidents are not broken down by industry.

QUOTE=eyeFISH;5044873]http://watchdog.org/105626/catching-...ent-dead-loss/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUd1v1z5kk

[/QUOTE]

wow your going to dump your oil in the river :cool:

you go cowboy :meme::meme::meme:

Jerry Dove 09-18-2013 08:26 AM

It reminds me of years ago on the Kilchis River after a high water, dead chums every where.

LawFish 09-18-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeFISH (Post 5047458)
It's early July... the fish most certainly were killed in gill nets.

The fish ARE bright. Maybe YOU need an eye exam?

Or perhaps an education in what mature or spawned out sockeye look like?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/me...e-salmon_1.jpg

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/salmon/so...e_spawning.jpg

Believe me EyeFish, after years of conducting spawning surveys I don't need much more of an education on what dead salmon look like. After they have been dead for a while and decompose a bit they bleach in the sun and turn white.....which is what your video shows. Their flesh also becomes liquefied which is why we called them slimebags.

Here is a photograph from the web of a spawned out sockeye:

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/male-...s-27914557.jpg

Note the similarity to the fish in the video. Ball is in your court.

LawFish

MsOutdrs 09-18-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawFish (Post 5050609)
Believe me EyeFish, after years of conducting spawning surveys I don't need much more of an education on what dead salmon look like. After they have been dead for a while and decompose a bit they bleach in the sun and turn white.....which is what your video shows. Their flesh also becomes liquefied which is why we called them slimebags.

http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/male-...s-27914557.jpg

LawFish

MY video doesn't show these fish with the hook nose and teeth that is typical of a spawned out salmon.

stillinscrubs 09-18-2013 09:15 AM

The take away point of this thread lawfish, is that guys with more money than the commercials have the commercials in their crosshairs. Commercial fisherman everywhere are going to feel the pain.

Wait until this hits the mainstream media next year and the salmon farmers join in.......

LawFish 09-18-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillinscrubs (Post 5051161)
The take away point of this thread lawfish, is that guys with more money than the commercials have the commercials in their crosshairs. Commercial fisherman everywhere are going to feel the pain.

Wait until this hits the mainstream media next year and the salmon farmers join in.......

Seems to be the trend lately, that's for sure! :doh:

LawFish

eyeFISH 09-18-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawFish (Post 5050609)

LawFish

Watch the video again and use the pause feature. There is ZERO similarity.

Two-tone sockeye (dark backs/white bellies) littering a tidewater beach in July = gillnet dropouts.

No ifs ands or buts....

Maybe you DO need an eye exam?

MsOutdrs 09-19-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeFISH (Post 5057322)
Watch the video again and use the pause feature. There is ZERO similarity.

Two-tone sockeye (dark backs/white bellies) littering a tidewater beach in July = gillnet dropouts.

No ifs ands or buts....

Maybe you DO need an eye exam?

That's what I did to see if they had the hook nose and long teeth that spawned out have. That's pretty easy to spot and those that were fairly intact did not have those features that I found. So, if that's the case, I'm thinking some generation down the road is going to see this pic and thank us a lot for our wanton waste when they no longer have any fish, whoever is guilty of this travesty.

stillinscrubs 09-19-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawFish (Post 5051225)
Seems to be the trend lately, that's for sure! :doh:

LawFish

Hopefully your boys act like the toolbags they do on here when confronted by the mainstream media and we can start putting nails in the coffin for commercial fishing once and for all. And in the process save the fish.....

MsOutdrs 09-19-2013 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillinscrubs (Post 5058306)
Hopefully your boys act like the toolbags they do on here when confronted by the mainstream media and we can start putting nails in the coffin for commercial fishing once and for all. And in the process save the fish.....

Nail in the coffin for the method used in commercial fishing.

Trick 09-19-2013 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsOutdrs (Post 5058322)

It's not commercial fishing, it's not the people, it's these methods that are deeply flawed.

I think as long as we can push change and be willing to try other methods to better utilize the resource without the destruction of non-target species we should keep up the force. We will get there....it's just a matter of time.

IMHO those fish on the video are dropouts for all the reasons already listed. I just wish they would have slowed down long enough to get some close up stills to put the issue to bed. But then that would end our speculation and that wouldn't be any good for this discussion.:flowered:

stillinscrubs 09-19-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsOutdrs (Post 5058322)

No, I meant what I said. Commercial fishing is hugely wasteful and destroys wild fish stocks. The problem the commercials are going to have with exposing them to the mainstream media is the reality of their waste and destruction.

All of the current methods of commercial fishing will be vulgar to the general public when brought to the light. Count on it. When the miners and farmers push the full court press, commercial fishing is toast.

:meme:

MsOutdrs 09-19-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillinscrubs (Post 5059465)
No, I meant what I said. Commercial fishing is hugely wasteful and destroys wild fish stocks. The problem the commercials are going to have with exposing them to the mainstream media is the reality of their waste and destruction.

All of the current methods of commercial fishing will be vulgar to the general public when brought to the light. Count on it. When the miners and farmers push the full court press, commercial fishing is toast.

:meme:

The biggest fish pirates as I see it are the foreign countries...

Fish Dog 09-19-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsOutdrs (Post 5059561)
The biggest fish pirates as I see it are the foreign countries...

Right. The high seas drift fleet is seriously impacting North American salmon runs, and this with satellites keeping watch on the North Pacific. I hear this frequently and it doesn't even merit a rebuttal. As for the dead fish on the beach, sockeye salmon spawn in tributaries of lakes for the most part not in the rivers feeding those systems. To postulate sport fish mortality or anything other than drop out of gillnets when 100 million lbs were caught by gillnets in that area is absurd.