IFish Fishing Forum banner

Prime Rib $2.98 at Winco

13K views 39 replies 31 participants last post by  FM2 
#1 ·
Well I've been waiting 12 months now for prime rib to come back on sale and Winco has it at $2.98 lb. :meme: Hillsboro by joes had a pretty good selection today.

#2 ·
Well I've been waiting 12 months now for prime rib to come back on sale and Winco has it at $2.98 lb. :meme: Hillsboro by joes had a pretty good selection today.
We purchased a few of Winco's PR last year and found them to be on the tough side. Plus, not sure way but the fat cooked up a color of yellow? Unless a good report is posted I think I will pass but thanks for the heads up.

#16 ·
We purchased a few of Winco's PR last year and found them to be on the tough side. Plus, not sure way but the fat cooked up a color of yellow? Unless a good report is posted I think I will pass but thanks for the heads up.
Last year, I bought a 13 and 7 pound prime rib roasts from Winco for that price. Not as good as I had hoped.(Even after I aged them for over a week) I will again purchase them, but will get a better piece of meat for the Xmas meal at some other location. :cool:

#5 ·
See this for grading;

http://ag.ansc.purdue.edu/meat_quality/ext_ed_meat_grading.html

You will get what you pay for when purchasing meat. Most high volume stores deal in the select grade or lower which has less marbling which means less flavor and tenderness. If you are looking for a quality piece of beef go to a reputable butcher shop. The service, knowledge and quality of the product should be far superior than what you will find at Winco.

#10 ·
Salty Walty.....only trust a meat guy from Texas A&M like me!!!! Don't believe anything out of the Boilermakers!!!!....except questions about trains!:flowered:

Most likely it's Select, what we call "no-roll" (that means it's inspected, just not graded) or one of the oldest tricks in the book, you freeze you ribs in the summer when the price is low and bring them out at Christmas, when the price peaks....

:D:D:D

LA

#8 ·
Technically a prime rib is a standing rib roast graded "prime". Winco and the other stores that advertise the inexpensive roasts are selling either "select" or "choice" grades, and as such are not really "prime" rib, although many people use the name anyway. Since it seems one of the main criteria for a cut to be graded prime is a heavier marbling, I actually prefer the lower grades because they have less fat. The ones we got last year turned out pretty good when we cooked them in a salt crust.

#9 · (Edited)
I had good results with winco. They are not prime rib roast, but usually choice. About once a year is enough for me as I love my beef and the rib roast carries a lot of fat. Keep your expectations reasonable, burger costs 4.49 at Freddies. Leftover rib roast turns into shepherd's pie at our house. And the dog gets the bone.

#12 ·
If this is the same deal, and the same quality meat as posted last year it was outstanding. We purchased a couple, prepared one right away and froze the others. I then did an Ifish search for rib roast recipes, combined the best of all of them and cooked a fabulous rib roast. I love prime rib, and it was as good as it gets.

#14 · (Edited)
I got two of these last year and really liked them... I did one as a roast and the other I cut into steaks. I like them better as steaks...even if this cut is just "Choice" or "Select", it's hard to mess up. Take out of fridge...let them get to room temp and salt/pepper them right before I cook..... I like to either grill or pan sear and finish in oven.

BeefIsGoodforYouLou

#26 ·
I got two of these last year and really liked them... I did one as a roast and the other I cut into steaks. I like them better as steaks...even if this cut is just "Choice" or "Select", it's hard to mess up. Take out of fridge...let them get to room temp and salt/pepper them right before I cook..... I like to either grill or pan sear and finish in oven.

BeefIsGoodforYouLou
How much catchup did you have to put on that thing?

#17 ·
The only place you will find true "Prime" graded beef anymore is in a AAA steak house. When the USDA started charging to grade beef (about 15 years ago), the entire grading system fell apart. The only way for the average consumer to get true "Prime" beef is to go to a quality steak house or grow it yourself.

Back in the days when retail meat was cut "in house" in the carcus form, we bought whole front quarters at Halloween and let them hang until the week of Christmas before we started breaking them down. If anyone remembers Joes Ideal Market at Murray and Cornell, that was some true quality beef, even if we did have an extra thumb on the scale now and then.:wink:

#18 ·
ended up buying around 70lbs last year total, kept two roasts, cut the rest up into 1" thick steaks.

MMMMMMMM>>>>>>>..........

#21 ·
Just my advice, but you'd better go buy stuff now. I just got back from Freddies and it was really slim pickens. No beef of any kind, no ground turkey and a few packages of chicken breasts and pork chops. They did have plenty of still half frozen ground sausage.:mad: The butchers and cashiers said that everyone is freaking out about the oncoming weather and stuff flew off the shelves. :hoboy:

They did have plenty of microbrews stocked, though. :cheers:

#23 ·
If I'm not mistaken, COSTCO has lowered their meat prices and their "rib roast" which I think is graded "choice" is at $4.99.................from trying safeway, freddies, and winco several times each, I'm sticking with COSTCO.

SOUR CREAM!!!!!

#24 ·
If I'm not mistaken, COSTCO has lowered their meat prices and their "rib roast" which I think is graded "choice" is at $4.99.................from trying safeway, freddies, and winco several times each, I'm sticking with COSTCO.

SOUR CREAM!!!!!
all in all COSTCO is hard to beat. very good meats.

#25 ·
Thumb your noses all you like about the Winco rib roasts, but we have had very good luck with them.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=2310660#post2310660

melt in your mouth delicious and so tender that chewing is required only to savor the flavor!

There are 3 things that you need to be careful to do:
Let it come to room temperature
Start it on very high heat (bone side down)
Then: Cook it slow and low

I would pit our last roast against any restaurant's prime rib - AND it was lean - you get much more actual meat.

#27 ·
Thumb your noses all you like about the Winco rib roasts, but we have had very good luck with them.

http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?p=2310660#post2310660

melt in your mouth delicious and so tender that chewing is required only to savor the flavor!

There are 3 things that you need to be careful to do:
Let it come to room temperature
Start it on very high heat (bone side down)
Then: Cook it slow and low

I would pit our last roast against any restaurant's prime rib - AND it was lean - you get much more actual meat.
I've done 'em this way...and the opposite, both with fabulous results. For the latter, I put it in at 225 degrees until the internal temp gets to 115...then it's up as high as it goes for 15 minutes. Usually ends up at about 125-130 after a 20 minute rest. The nice thing about the low and slow (whichever order you crank the heat up) is that the entire cross section of meat is the same temp except for the outside rind which ends up with a delicious brown crust.

I bought several of the cheap winco roasts, and I've never been let down. I've also purchased one of Gartner's 30 day dry aged PRIME rib roasts...best rib roast I have EVER eaten...and I have eaten a pile. :food: But you pay for it...:passout:

#29 ·
Well for me that's 2.98 to much.....never have liked prime rib at all.

I can't stand the fat in beef. Rarely eat beef anymore unless it's a burger and that isn't very often.

Give me salmon anyday of the week!:excited:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.