IFish Fishing Forum banner

Newell 332 - What Line for Casting Jigs?

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Mark Mc 
#1 ·
Grabbed a Newell 232 5:1 on a close-out deal intending to use it for casting FishTraps, jigs and so forth.

What do y'all recomend for line type and weight to do this sort of work? I don't know how these are for casting so I really want to avoid backlashes or at least be able to pick them out, so I'm leaning more to a monofilament. But what about really heavy Spectra, like 100#, I've never casted that, would it be less prone to bad backlashes? The Newell 332 is listed at 320yds of 30#.

After listening to its LOUD clicker resonating in that graphite frame, I wanna hear that baby scream...it's gonna sound like a cheering section :yay: :yay: :yay:

#3 ·
Gary Gary now you have taken the next step down the path of TUNA darkness. I would use 50 to 65 lb spectra with a 50 to 100 yd mono topshot of 25 lb Izor blue mono. A bimini to albrite knot or a Bimini to worm knot for joining the spectra to mono. Now for a rod I would go with a calstar 270 or 870 or if U would like a graphite composite go with a calstar graphiter 800L these are all on the Charkbait site. Now I need to get over to visit U and help U set up some clones. :smash: :smash: :smash: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

#4 ·
Grabbed a Newell 232 5:1 on a close-out deal intending to use it for casting FishTraps, jigs and so forth.

After listening to its LOUD clicker resonating in that graphite frame, I wanna hear that baby scream...it's gonna sound like a cheering section :yay: :yay: :yay:
And you thought I was joking when I said this could end up costing you 40 to 50K. And so it begins......... :laugh:

#6 ·
:yeahthat:
I did my Penn jigmaster with straight 40lb Izorline Mono and it works great for casting and trolling swimbaits. If you have an issue or catch a fish that chews up the line you just snip off a few yards and retie! no worrying about running out of topshot or knots failing (unless you tied the lure wrong).

Paul

#7 ·
:yeahthat:

For the above reasons and others. Straight 40# mono on my high speed Newell is my go to ling cod/bottom fishing setup. Also is my go to setup for yo-yoing iron for Tuna and Yellowtail. Very versatile setup.

#10 ·
Steelfreak: Use a heavier mono leader if you wish, but you can also troll with straight 20# mono. On the San Diego sportboats, which use live bait, tuna often refuse 30 pound line. When that happens, the guys who drop down to 15 pound line keep catching tuna.

Tuna have no teeth to speak of, and their fighting style is predictible. Count on a tuna to make one or more long runs and a few short dashes. At the end of the fight, they are typically straight down and circling as you slowly pump them up. Tuna do not instinctively run for cover (propellors for example), nor is there any cover avaiable in blue water. Untold thousands of tuna have been caught on 12 and 15 pound line.

Best trolling lures for light line are small swimbaits, or "bonito feathers". Bonito feathers (also known as Rocket Jigs) are small leadhead jigs used in Southern California. They feature a chrome plated lead head (typically 1/2 or 3/4 ounce), and a fixed hook that is dressed with colored feathers. Classic colors are red/white, green/yellow, all white, blue/white. Usually they have a red glass eyes.

#11 ·
While Hogg likes topshots, I'm with Ron....25-40lb straight mono will work just fine. As for birdnesting your reel, just go in the backyard and practice and practice somemore to the point where you can be looking the other way and feel the lure hit land, you can clamp your educated thumb down on the spool and won't have a mess on your hands. After you get that part down, practice accuracy, pin point some targets to hit or come close to in your yard err island. With an 1.5 oz leadhead, you'll find it's real easy to toss it, the heavier the weight, the easier it is to cast. When you have that down and are feeling pretty confident, attach just a clothes pin to the end of your line and try casting into a bit of wind without blowing up your reel. That can be a challenge.

So much for salmon huh, at least for now.......... :smile:

Topshots for trolling is just a personal preference, some like to use it and some use straight mono. Also too some might use their reels for double duty, when halibut fishing use the braided stuff and when out trolling for albies, just add a bit of topshot of mono to your braided stuff, and yes the mono does act as a shock absorber too.

#12 ·
Thanks for all the great practical advice!

Tonite, 30# Big Game it is.

Tomorrow, lawn casting!

BTW, have you guys heard the clickers on these graphite Newells? Man, loud enough to wake Franco. :bigshock:

Loud clicker, that's got to be the sound of good real, right? Right? :wave:

#13 ·
25 to 40 is correct for that reel. However, you should choose which test in that range...according to what you will be doing with it most of the time (e.g., how heavy a weight / jighead / iron).

For smaller swimbaits, you want a 1 - 1.5 ounce jighead. So 25 lb test. When you jump up to 30, it will be OK for 2 - 4 ounces, but will hinder you with the light weights. 40 lb is for 2.5 oz & up (more like 3 - 5).

I do like Hoggemin suggests......use spectra backing (50 lb on the 300 series) on about 2/3 of the spool. Then just fill the rest with the line you think you'll be using on the next few trips. It's cheap & easy to change to a different test.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.