IFish Fishing Forum banner

Adhesive removal from fiberglass

44K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Chrome Bumper 
#1 ·
The shower in our house is fiberglass and has some unknown adhesive in the corners (I think it was for some sort of shelving unit). What would be the best, least abrasive way to remove it? Got any good solvents that you wouldn't be afraid to wash down the drain? Is there such a thing?

#3 ·
3M makes an adhesive remover that works well. I've used it on fiberglass with excellent results. Most auto parts stores sell it.

I'd probably use a heat gun to soften it up, then CAREFULLY scrape the excess off. Then I'd use the adhesive remover to take the residue off. Or some combination of the above. :cool:

#4 ·
Iv!e had good luck useing GOOF OFF It is safe to use on carpet and a long list of things on the can . Iv!e used it on my boat to take thing off and had no problems .Fred Meyers carry it . Most of the larger stores will have it .My boat was fiberglass .

#7 ·
I used to work for a construction clean up company in Bend. We would go in and remove all the stickers from windows, showers, etc.
We used goof off most of the time, however, if there was a question of dulling the surface or even damaging it, we would use a product called goo-gone. It is a little less nasty, but would still do the job. You can get it at most stores.

Tag

#8 ·
Take it from somebody who has done more than my fair share of removing old glue and adhesives:

3M Adhesive Solvent works the best and will not harm the fiberglass. Do not rub if you have a gloss finish, just let the solvent do its work. Duct tape a soaked rag on the spots to let it work a good long time.

the next best is Goof-Off or GooGone but they are made for the retail market and are expensive per unit.

Acetone will not work, it is not made to dissolve adhesives.

good luck

#9 ·
Acetone, tolulene, trichlor111, all dry and clean well. Might have to use a little elbow grease, but will not distort the drain after drying. If its septic ya might throw a little extra yeast in to make it start growing better. :grin: Not sure about the rest. If they go down in as a solid and stick to the glue joints in the pipes may create problems. I don't know that for fact. Just theory! I would still use acetone! Good luck. :cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.