IFish Fishing Forum banner

shooting halibut?

13K views 26 replies 24 participants last post by  salmonfisher77 
#1 Ā·
I have had conflicting answers to this question. Can you shoot halibut out of neah bay. I have been told yes, and no. Just wondering, cuz I know a 22 mag to the head sure settles em down in Ak.

#3 Ā·
This is from the Marine Area Rules of the 2009 Sport Fishing Regulations, Page 96:

"Halibut - Hook and line angling and spearfishing
only. A hand-held line is permitted. Only one line
with up to two hooks may be used. Halibut may
be shot or harpooned while landing.
May not be
landed in a port closed to halibut fishing except
halibut lawfully caught in Canada; angler must
have Canadian license. See page 25, Fish &
Shellfish caught in Canada"

#7 Ā·
i catch alot of halibut every summer in alaska and you really only have to shoot them from about 70 pounds and up. But sometimes the most dangerouse fish are the 40-70 pounders as they flap around alot in the boat. But we normaly shoot fish 50 pounds and up just to be safe. but yeah it is necesary to shoot the biger halibut. We use a 45 calibur and it works pretty good if you use the right bullets but by far the best is a 410 snake charmer.
brandon kind

#9 Ā·
I certainly wouldn't use any gun that I was fond of. Saltwater tends to splash when fired into at close range and saltwater works wonders on firearms in short order.

We have landed many good sized halibut, to over 100lbs, and never had the need to shoot them. I get a good gaff or harpoon shot in them so that they are controlled but still in the water then run a rope through the mouth and out the gills, around the tail then back to a loop tied in the end of the rope. Pull tight and the fish's tail is drawn up close to its head. Flopping is completely eliminated and the fish has a nice "handle" to lift over the side.

#12 Ā·
I certainly wouldn't use any gun that I was fond of. Saltwater tends to splash when fired into at close range and saltwater works wonders on firearms in short order.

We have landed many good sized halibut, to over 100lbs, and never had the need to shoot them. I get a good gaff or harpoon shot in them so that they are controlled but still in the water then run a rope through the mouth and out the gills, around the tail then back to a loop tied in the end of the rope. Pull tight and the fish's tail is drawn up close to its head. Flopping is completely eliminated and the fish has a nice "handle" to lift over the side.
:agree:

#10 Ā·
75# and under get the wood shampoo and a gaff through the head. Much over that and they get a good quality harpoon stuck in them and a Louisville lubotomy, then I cut the gills and let them bleed for a few minutes, safe, easy and effective. Never felt the need for a gun and I've put fish to 270lbs. in the boat.:twocents:

#14 Ā·
Unless you have a permit and pay the 25.00 registration fee etc., don't bring any firearm across the border into Canada. Don't even think about bringing a handgun into Canada under any circumstance. If you do and get checked, plan on spending a few days with border patrol in the Victoria pokey and being dang lucky if you get to keep your boat! Double harpoon the big barn doors if you have to, and have a long bladed knife affixed to a long handle to cut the gill arches at a distance. A quick bleed out will mellow the biggest 'but and keep the blood out of the boat.

#15 Ā·
Unless you have a permit and pay the 25.00 registration fee etc., don't bring any firearm across the border into Canada. Don't even think about bringing a handgun into Canada under any circumstance. If you do and get checked, plan on spending a few days with border patrol in the Victoria pokey and being dang lucky if you get to keep your boat! Double harpoon the big barn doors if you have to, and have a long bladed knife affixed to a long handle to cut the gill arches at a distance. A quick bleed out will mellow the biggest 'but and keep the blood out of the boat.
If you drive into B.C. thru Blaine,WA you can park a handgun at the hardware store in Blaine I think it was an Ace hardware for a daily fee last time I did it it was $2 but that was quite a while ago:twocents:

#16 Ā·
I have had conflicting answers to this question. Can you shoot halibut out of neah bay. I have been told yes, and no. Just wondering, cuz I know a 22 mag to the head sure settles em down in Ak.
In B.C. they harpoon it and have a large buoy called a Scotsman attached and let the fish flop around in the salt
Also in the USA a bang stick is used instead of a gun I used to have a friend in Hawaii who made them:twocents:

#19 Ā·
I seen a guide loose three fingers harpooning a halibut. he had a 30 ft line and the end of it tied to the boat. when he harpooned it it took off strait down. he was afraid it would pull out when it got to the end of the rope. so he grabbed the rope and tried to stop it. the line wrapped around his hand and pulled three of his fingers out of socket and terned them all the way around so his finger nails were on the palm side of his hand.

I personaly like to use a shark hook and a bat.

#23 Ā·
I seen a guide loose three fingers harpooning a halibut. he had a 30 ft line and the end of it tied to the boat. when he harpooned it it took off strait down. he was afraid it would pull out when it got to the end of the rope. so he grabbed the rope and tried to stop it. the line wrapped around his hand and pulled three of his fingers out of socket and terned them all the way around so his finger nails were on the palm side of his hand.
I don't care who you are, that will ruin your day!:D

#20 Ā·
yes...Big flatties around a small boat are a resipe for disaster. If you have a bigger boat its not such a big deal. I've been in a bunch of big fish. A rubber mallet to the side of the dome tames even the biggest fish, but I wouldn't want them flopping around on my deck. Harpoon um, bleed um, hog tie um..whatever...just kill them before you bring them aboard. I netted a 50 lber once and dropped it on the deck of my 12 valco.:D:DI never did that again. Some cooperate. Some don't. That fish beat the crap outta everthing in the boat. I swear she spent half the time 3' in the air, and everytime she hit the deck something else got broke. If you don't know were to hit them. You can smash their heads to hamburger, and not kill them.:doh: That was my first experiance with a halibut.
I haven't sport fished butts at home for quite some time. This will be my first whole spring, and summer in the lower 48 in a while. I look fwd to lings, halibut, springers, summer runs, and a full season of vermin. I'm so excited I can't stand it. I should let my wife read this. I NEED a new gun for halibut. A rifle in .204 ruger should be about right.:D

#21 Ā·
When you shoot a halibut, everybody in the other boats around you looks tenses up and has the same thought....."I hope that #*$@^# doesn't accidentally send a stray shot skipping over here." That fear is well founded since we all know what happens in a small boat when big fish come alongside - adrenaline is pumping, crew is tripping over each other, the boat is pitching and rolling in the chop, maybe some beers have been drunk. It's easy to imagine a shot going wild.

Also, plenty of guys have shot holes in their own boats, which means other boats have to abandon their fishing and come to the rescue.

When a shot rings out over the water, any wives or kids or fishing newbies on nearby boats may be shocked and disappointed that fishing involves guns. It can certainly put a damper on their day.

I get pretty annoyed when the shooting starts, especially since so many skippers competently handle big halibut without using guns.

#22 Ā·
I've killed lots of halibut out of Neah Bay, on both sides of the border. I Have never had the need to shoot one. I Harpoon them, tie them off to a cleet so if I can't hold them they can pull on the boat for a while, pull them up, cut their gills and then move them through the water so they bleed out fast, takes the wind right out of their sails.

#25 Ā·
Sure would be a shame to hit the leader, thus loosing a halibut with buckshot or slug if you prefer, in its head............been there seen it, thats why I will only use a harpoon and bouy. Wear it down, shark hook it in the mouth, but the colored side of the tail, bleed it out, then in the box...............

#26 Ā·
I shoot anything much over 30. You dont need to, but it makes the whole process easier. Less fuss and muss and you dont get blood all over the inside of the boat. Besides I kinda enjoy giving them a blast with my 38, solid slug is plenty, no hollow points.

Off of Ucluelet, where I fish a lot, its harpoon time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.