IFish Fishing Forum banner

So what does a big horn sheep taste like anyways?

50K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  baltz526 
#1 ·
I've heard that 'lope ranges from OK to excelent depending on what they are grazing and how fast the meat was cooled.

So has anyone out there actually tasted a sheep or goat? I am imagining something very stringy and rutted out (just to make myself feel better).

#2 ·
Hate to burst your bubble, but it is really good. I score a pack of steaks from the one my friend killed last year.

It has a great texture and flavor. Not as tough as an old buck deer, more mild. And that was a 9 year old ram. I imagine a younger ram would be delicious.

I've read that wild sheep were highly sought after table fare by early market hunters in the West.

#5 ·
I will second the Antelope I have had it a number of times. I think it is the same world wide it is how you take care get it cooled quickly. I really liked it.

I have never tasted sheep but the old MT men and Indians are supposed to have liked it.

#8 ·
I got mine 3 years ago in Beaties Butte and it was awsome. Very tender which was a surprise to me and almost no game taste to it. It has a flavor of its own. I made alot kabobs out of mine and would marinte them for about 4 or 5 hrs and BBQ. Friends and family all liked it. I'm sure depending on area and age some taste different. Go get it and find out for yourself. Good Luck, it is the hunt of a lifetime. :smash:

#10 ·
i'll give my best advise on hot weather meat processing, bring two very large ice chests. asap after killing the game animal. skin it, quarter it, put it in garbage bags,double baged, do not let it get wet, then ice it down and keep it iced down untill you are ready to put it in the freezer. no more than three days iced down as long as it stays dry.you will get the best tasting tenderest meat the game animal can give you if you ice it down fast.

#11 ·
Baltz that is good info we used a large 50 gallon ice chest and boned the meat and then bagged as you suggested it and iced it worked great.

#13 ·
Re: So what does a big horn sheep taste like anywa

I've heard that 'lope ranges from OK to excelent depending on what they are grazing and how fast the meat was cooled.

So has anyone out there actually tasted a sheep or goat? I am imagining something very stringy and rutted out (just to make myself feel better).
That Mountain Goat or Barnyard Goat? :shrug:

If it's Mountain Goat it is good as long as you cook it right.
Best way is to slow cook it in fluid as no matter how young it is it is TOUGH :smash:

Hambers is like having a bunch of flavorful rubber BB's in your mouth

Strong point to remember is that it is a VERY HIGH proteen meat and creates a WHOLE lotta gas going through your system :bigshock:

#15 ·
tastes like CHICKEN,
:laugh: :laugh:
DAB

#17 ·
My wife and I have harvested 2 antelope. Both were skinned immediately, and cooling withing 2-3 hours. Both were mature Billies between 14 and 15 inches--and both were the tastiest game meat I've ever eaten.
I had heard all the stuff about how rank they were from many people, ranchers, hunters etc, etc. Way I see it, it's like bear or pork. Quality is completely dependent on how quick you get it gutted/skinned/cooled.
Never had a bad bear (my wifes second favorite) or antelope.

#20 ·
As far as antelope go, they are great, at least from the Southeast corner of the state. A couple of buddies and I went to Wyoming a couple of times. The first time we all had buck tags and bought Doe tags over the counter. We brought home 12 antelope, thinking it was going to taste like the ones at home. NOPE, tasted like liver. :sick: Must have been the feed over there?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.