IFish Fishing Forum banner

Inflatable PFD's How Often Do You Change Cartridges?

86K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Sea Pirate 
#1 ·
Last year I bought a couple of inflatable PFD's, manual pull type inflation, I did not want auto inflate. I bought another one tonight, 3 yrs. old, never worn.

My question is this, how often, or do you ever, change out the CO2 cartridges? Is it necessary? I have changed mine out and plan on doing so every year, just wondered what anyone else did?

#3 · (Edited)
I have 6 Sospender automatics and 1 manual model (14 cartridges to check), but inspect the cartridges throughout the year and replace as needed. Mine have a back up cartridge just in case the primary on the actuator fails. Not much good in an emergency but provides some reassurance.

What am I looking for? Since my are worn all the time, anything more than some superficial corrosion especially on the top where it will be punctured, and it gets replaced. This is still overkill IMHO. Weighing them on a gram type scale should detect an empty one. The CO2 cartridges are fairly thick walled for their size.

I religously change the lil' Alka Seltzer actuator annually.

As I preach, the only good PFD is the one you wear!

Kevin

#5 ·
Best way to test is to jump in a pool with one.Do this once a year it is great practice and great way to test each one.Do not forget to test the oral inflation tube at the same time.Great post thanks:applause:

#6 ·
I don't see the need to change out a CO2 cartridge unless it has been used. What I do is use the manual inflation mouth piece to fill the device, and then let it sit overnight to make sure it will hold air for a good long time. I had one soluble pill fail and the device went off in the truck. That CO2 cartridge was several years old and went off just fine.

When I bought my first inflatable I set it off with a spare cartridge at hand just so I would know how fast it opened and how tight it fit. I think everyone should do that so there are no surprises on the fit with clothing underneath.

#7 ·
I don't see the need to change out a CO2 cartridge unless it has been used. What I do is use the manual inflation mouth piece to fill the device, and then let it sit overnight to make sure it will hold air for a good long time. I had one soluble pill fail and the device went off in the truck. That CO2 cartridge was several years old and went off just fine.

When I bought my first inflatable I set it off with a spare cartridge at hand just so I would know how fast it opened and how tight it fit. I think everyone should do that so there are no surprises on the fit with clothing underneath.

Please come to the pool event on sat nite of the convention.Bring your vest and jump in with it.You will be surprised on many wil not function from coroded valves,etc.You should test them every year.

mjackson@comdt.uscg.mil.

Item 3 Flotation Devices

LIFE JACKET INFLATION FAILURE DUE TO FALSE
POSITIVE SERVICE INDICATORS AND
INCORRECT CO2 CYLINDER INSTALLATION
There is a potential problem when installing CO2
cylinders that have bayonet tips in inflatable Life Jacket.

If a cylinder is not properly installed, the Life Jacket will not inflate with CO2. The problem may affect several thousand Life Jackets, but the Coast Guard is only aware of one incident to date.

#11 ·
Thanks for the article. It is a good source for people to determine exactly what type of device you own.

I have all bobbin types with screw in cartridges (no bayonet types), but plan on getting a couple of the newer Mustang hydrostatic devices either at the Sportsman's Show or the Offshore Convention. When I do that I'll retire my first inflatable to the garage museum.

I didn't know about the pet inflatables, and that might be a good choice for those warmer months. I have a warm dog PFD, but I'll price an inflatable for my best dog friend.

#12 ·
Thanks for the article. It is a good source for people to determine exactly what type of device you own.

I have all bobbin types with screw in cartridges (no bayonet types), but plan on getting a couple of the newer Mustang hydrostatic devices either at the Sportsman's Show or the Offshore Convention. When I do that I'll retire my first inflatable to the garage museum.

I didn't know about the pet inflatables, and that might be a good choice for those warmer months. I have a warm dog PFD, but I'll price an inflatable for my best dog friend.
You are welcome, I just thought it was interesting, glad you got something out of it. I am thinking of getting one for my dog as well. Goofy guy LOVES the water and I am always afraid he will jump overboard in strong current. He weighs 105 lbs and wouldn't be the easiest thing to get back in the boat even with a vest!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.