IFish Fishing Forum banner

Siuslaw bank salmon fishing...questions?!

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  541 Native son 
#1 Ā·
Hello, new to the board and the area, just moved to Eugene. I'm really excited to have found this community, I've made good friends on other online communities with some other hobbies, and love that there is a great community here.

I am hoping for some info on salmon fishing on the Siuslaw. I'm only familiar with Chinook fishing in Northern CA on the American, Sacramento and Feather Rivers, and the techniques and gear seem to be pretty different up here. If I could just fire off some questions, I'd love any answers you all can provide.

1) Line: I used to use 12lb Maxima religiously. What is the standard?

2) I see that there are Chinook and Coho in there. Do the same techniques generally work for both and you just catch what you come across, or does the gear and technique differ? Coho are smaller, yes?

3) Where are the bank spots? I prefer spots that aren't shoulder to shoulder, if such a thing exists here...I'm not familiar with the slang or nicknames, so specifics would be appreciated, and PM's are welcome if you don't really want to share them with the world. Not sure how secretive everyone is, yet!

I haven't done any searching around for specifics on techniques and equipment, so I'll try to leave those questions out for now, unless I come up short on my digging :wink:

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. I'll try to contribute where I'm knowledgeable, I know the info goes both ways!

Lyle

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.