IFish Fishing Forum banner

How do you can razor clams?

29K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Duckdog98604 
#1 Ā·
Any one have a recipe? Also, anyone have a recipe for smoked and canned razors?

#3 Ā·
For canned, Refer to the ball/kerr canning book, probably get an online version/recipe from their website.

No experience with smoked razors or other clams, I think I have seen posts before though....try search feature and smoked clams

#5 Ā·
canning clams- as done by my mom (we use bay clams, but a clam is a clam):

clean your clams. try to leave the fat with them. chop into pieces (doesn't need to be small pieces either). fill the jars, leaving about an inch of head space. 1/4 teaspoon canning salt per pint. make sure your jars are clean and the lids are pre-warmed. tighten rings only until you feel resistance.

put water in pressure cooker to within an inch of the top of the bottom layer of jars. bring the pressure up to 11 pounds (12-13 lbs is fine and gives you a chance to adjust the pressure if it starts to fall). cook time is 100 minutes -->100 CONTINUOUS minutes. if the pressure EVER drops below 11#s you MUST restart the 100 minutes AFTER it's back up to the 11#s of pressure. *any breeze while cooking can cause fluctuations, so be very mindful of this during the 100 minute cook time.*

when the time is up, carefully move the cooker to another cool burner. DO NOT TILT THE COOKER!!!! let the cooker cool and release the pressure on it's own!!! manually releasing the pressure will also cause the clams to essentially boil over, ruining your work and causing a nice mess.

NEVER use a jar bigger than a pint.

you are best advised to contact your local extension office to verify this is the current preferred method to can clams.

*be prepared for STANK!!!! not as bad as cooking crabs, but canning clams does stink up the house.

*canned clams have a taste almost like they have been smoked. have never tried to smoke them and then can them.

#6 Ā·
I know this is an old post, but I had need of the same info.
I've canned lots of stuff but never clams, just wanted to double check if there were any special considerations.

Hit the beach w/ my wife & kids this past weekend and we scored a pile of big fatties.
More than I care to freeze (already have some frozen anyway) and wanted to can these up for chowder use.

Thanks Crobarr!
Hunt'nFish

#8 Ā·
Smoked canned clams.
8-12 razor clams cut into bite sized pieces
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp salt
Fill pint jar with clams add oil,smoke,salt.
90 min 12-15 lbs.
Clams come out tender and tasty!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.