Discussion Board  |  Photos  |  Blogs  |  Videos  |  Directory  |  Kilchis Weather  |  Tides  |  Marine Info  |  AUP  |  Contact/Advertise  |  ifish Decals/Store

Carmen Macdonald

A passion for fishing and hunting grew into a career that's included Alaskan guide, media sales, writer and the politics of outdoor recreation. My company, Vaunt Marketing, represents industry-leading brands in the US and Canadian markets.

Search This Blog

Recent Comments

Categories

Recent Posts

Archives

January 29, 2015

Summer Steelhead and Paradise Lost

by Carmen Macdonald

Last weekend I was invited on a camp trip over on the Deschutes River. Amongst the group there were bird dogs and chucker hunters, trout flies and trout anglers and steelhead flies, gear and steelhead anglers.

I went loaded for bear, which for summer steelhead included about seven Blue Fox Vibrax Bullet spinners in size 4, about six steelhead jigs and four floats. All my gear fit in the pockets of my jacket. I love these fish.

On Saturday, while winter steelhead anglers descended upon west side rivers in droves, I went 2 for 2 on summer steelhead. On Sunday, my buddy and I went 5 for 6. Of 8 fish hooked, five of them chased down the spinner and smashed it.

There was one other truck with three anglers that we saw on the river. It was simply awesome.

The more I think about summer steelhead, the more amazing I recognize them to be. Early anglers on the Deschutes will begin fishing the lower river in mid-July. Here it was late January and I was still on the same fish, fish that still cartwheel across the water, maybe with not the same enthusiasm, but pretty darn close.

Similar fisheries used to be available in many rivers much closer to home in the Willamette Valley. The Sandy, Clackamas and Molalla Rivers used to have summer programs that ascended far into the mountains. There are still summer programs in the Clack and Sandy, but they're a shadow of their former selves and specifically try to limit the presence of the fish in the basins. The Molalla program was eliminated in total.

Much of the driving force behind the downsizing or elimination of these programs was a study authored by Kathryn Kostow of ODFW. The study called out summer steelhead as having a negative impact on wild winter steelhead due to a "density dependent" effect. The summers, it was surmised, out competed the winters.

Programs fell like dominoes in the 1990's. License sales dropped by 80,000 between 1993 and 1998 (silver salmon were a big part of this).

Oddly enough, last week the Oregon Chapter of the American Fisheries Society held a Hatchery and Wild Symposium in downtown Portland. I would have loved to have been there, but could not attend. A few friends of mine were in the audience.

Kostow was one of the speakers. She spoke to some of the density dependent relationships that were part of the original work on the Clackamas. However, this time it ended differently. My friends in the audience said you might have needed to know in advance exactly to what she was referring, but she offered a sentence. I won't quote because I wasn't there, but it amounted to-- it didn't work out on the Clackamas.

This after 15 years of destruction of fisheries. This after many citations of the Clackamas study to bolster arguments against hatchery fish in so many places. This after a very defensive 2012 memo saying the Clackamas was rebounding.

It's not. We have simply lost one of the best fisheries Oregon had to offer...make that numerous fisheries.

I've ground this axe pretty hard. Right now I want to say that having never met Kostow, many I know and have spoken with consider her a most excellent person. I do not want to take that away. I do want to point out that science is made up of people. People are not infallible. People are not without bias. People make mistakes.

In this specific instance, we've crushed some fisheries for no benefit at all. We've made a mistake.

The earliest summer steelhead I've caught in the Willamette system was caught on February 17th. That hatchery fish would have proceeded upriver and spawned the following year, providing somewhere around 12-months of opportunity (in this specific case, the fish was barbecued in short order :) It used to be said that you could catch steelhead on the Clackamas every single month of the year between the overlap of winters and summers. That wasn't some myth...it was fact.

So as we are now crowding anglers into fewer and fewer places....so much so that groups like TU are hinting at some form of limited entry....I have to wonder.

How many mistakes have we made? How many towns took the hit? How many burger joints like the one that used to be in Estacada are gone? How many connections to fish and the places they inhabit have been terminated?

And what are we going to do we do about it?

____

And for a capper on weird sense of timing, just before I can hit the upload button on this blog, here's what pops into my email.

In case you can't read the small type in the bottom middle it says, "Participating angler-sponsors assist Russian scientists in the collection of scale and tissue samples, and tagging of all caught-and-released fish. This is a high level scientific project, and all costs associated with sponsoring are tax deductible."

Is this where steelhead fishing is heading? Where the very wealthiest anglers looking for a fishing trip and a charitable donation wing on over to Russia to jam on the Kamchatka?

To quote Ferris Bueller, "If you have the means, it's so choice." I would agree. Insane trip that I'd love to take. I don't look cross at anyone who would take this trip. I do look cross on those who would perpetuate a false shortage of fish and opportunity on the premise that, at least on the Clackamas River, we're gaining something positive for wild fish.

Comments (6)

The Sailor wrote 2 years ago

Carmen: No big secret, it's that "they" don't want "us" out there packing guns or rods...
Big $ is our enemy.
Sportsmen are most vulnerable. Timber and Power; they fear and won't even attempt the challenge.
Fast forward 10 years, scary!!!

Don Schrag wrote 2 years ago

Carmen:I have lived above Estacada since 1970 and have fished from the mouth of the clack. to the base of Timothy lake dam for summer & winter steel, sea run cuts, silvers, Chinook all year around.It is sad what has been done to these runs. Thank you for your remembrance of days past.

BillH wrote 2 years ago

When my great grandfather Doran Stearns guided Rudyard Kiplings famous fishing experience on the Clackamas at Carver in late June 1889, we can only surmise the otherwise undentified numerous fish they caught were wild summer steelhead with one unseen large fish lost was likely a spring chinook. There was a (apparently commercial) fish trap upstream from "Kiplings Rock" that may have contributed to there being so many fish caught but as yet there were NO dams on the Clackamas at that time nor any hatchery steelhead. Since then, times have changed. I do recall in the late '80's having several very productive drifts on a short section of the Clack above North Fork Reservoir for hatchery summer steelies. How times have changed! Steelhead fishing everywhere was better in the '50s-'80's and even though we conked wild ones back then, wild steelhead survived in spite of some genetic mixing with their hatchery bretheren.

I contend that due to early spawning time of old fashioned hatchery steelhead, the hatching and survival rates were very low due to the effect of the high water sequences of early and mid winter on their eggs and only the strong survived. So why not go back to the hatchery practices of yesteryear and to to hell with the politics of the wild fish Nazis (aka - "they"). We do,however, need to continue catch and release of the wilds due to the numbers of anglers now seeking the excitement of hooking steelhead.

Rodger Parr wrote 2 years ago

From Late May until late October (or later) a guy or gal could drive up the Clack and hook fish any evening after work, or all day long. Estacada had tackle shops and restaurants. I was fresh out of college and becoming a good steelheader. I would ask my boss if I could come in to work early so I could get off in time to hit the upper Clack just as the sun fell behind the canyon walls and the fish would really bite. Fish every slot with bubbles and you had a chance. Hook a fish in that gorgeous boulder strewn water and hold on. An average evening would be to hook 4 or 5 and land maybe 2 or 3. Forty plus miles of heaven. One summer over 8,500 fish passed Northfork Res. The average was over 4,000. The same happened to the Hood and Upper Sandy. Three places within an hour of Portland that a guy or gal could have an excellent chance at hooking summer steelies from early summer until late fall or later. My heart breaks remembering how great it was and how I may never take a grandson or granddaughter and get them hooked. Thanks for the memories and rekindling my heartbreak.

Carmen Macdonald wrote 2 years ago

Great to hear that many remember the Clack for what it used to be. Many of the vocal youth have grown up knowing only what is today. There are a number of folks out there doing everything they can to try and return this river to a show piece. The presence of hatchery fish are not determining the future of this river.
I do want to say that there are many within the "they" who feel exactly like the rest of us. They want positive fisheries. Their heart is with the fish. I've met them, and thanked them for their efforts. Good people.

BillH wrote 1 year ago

Just a few more thoughts on steelhead managment. Some of us remember the old days when early winter hatchery steelhead were common from mid-November through December and trailed off in January as they hit their spawning peak while wilds were just getting going. The wilds started spawning in late February and March. Genetic cross contamination? I'd say not! As I approach death in the next decade, I will die with wonderful memories of fishing wild and hatchery runs in Johnson Creek, Sucker Creek, Deep Creek, Eagle Creek, The Sandy and Clack as well as Big Creek and the Necanicum. It is sad that the tree hugging greenie liberal wild fish Nazis have taken over. I grew up in the best era of all and will not have to see much more of todays video game generation and the decline of America.

Post a Comment

You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!

CONTACT IFISH.NET | IFISH COMPLETE DIRECTORY
All information and pictures on ifish.net are © www.ifish.net
Terms of Service
All Coast Media Network 2 Cool Fishing Noreast.com Stripers247.com All Coast Ifish.net