Discussion Board  |  Photos  |  Blogs  |  Videos  |  Directory  |  Kilchis Weather  |  Tides  |  Marine Info  |  AUP  |  Contact/Advertise  |  ifish Decals/Store

Carmen Macdonald

A passion for fishing products and fisheries management has grown into a career that's included Alaskan guide, media sales,writer and board member of NSIA. My company, Vaunt Marketing, represents industry-leading brands in the US and Canadian markets.

Search This Blog

July 22, 2014

A Truly New Spinner For Anglers

by Carmen Macdonald

Trolling spinners for salmon has gone big time. Just a scant few years ago, Tillamook Bay was the epicenter of salmon spinners. At this point, Tillamook has been replaced by Astoria. The much larger Buoy 10 fishery probably uses as many spinners a day as Tillamook uses in a season...there are just that many people fishing them there.

The effects on tackle stores has been dramatic. Now we find massive spreads of spinners where just a few years ago there were a just a fraction of this amount. Cruising these aisles, then looking closer, you'll notice one unifying factor in the selection- most all of the blades are nearly identical. Not the finishes, but the blades themselves. About all of them, whether smooth or hammered, faceted or not, white-backed, brass or nickel, are virtually all cascade style blades, with a couple notable exceptions.

The new Luhr-Jensen Hydro Vibe Extreme breaks the mold of the cascade style blade, offering anglers a completely unique blade with a vibration pattern different than any available on the market.

At a quick glance you can see the difference. The HydroVibe blade shows a large flat with hard angles towards the tip instead of a uniform curve throughout. On showing the lure to a longtime spinner angler, he could immediately see the intention. The large flat surface isn't as friendly when spinning around the shaft. It responds to the rotation with a tumultuous disturbance in the water, and for the angler, that's a beautiful thing.

The disturbance is heightened by a unique vent at the top of the blade. Grabbing water from the blade's exterior and passing it to the interior, it elevates the level of turbulence.

If your Dr. McCoy voice from Star Trek is in your head saying, "I'm an angler, not a hydrodynamic engineer!"- let's break it down a bit. I'm really proud to have been on the testing team for these spinners more than three years ago. When we put them down in 30-feet of water behind a 16-ounce lead in Astoria, you could read the vibration on the rod tip like the spinner was just 5-feet off of the rod tip. And even better, that rod tip got yarded to water with amazing regularity, all of this from a size 6 blade.

The size 6 blade is exceptionally universal. Where the fads have taken us to blades of massive proportion, growing numbers of spinner fisheries are showing the true strength of smaller blades. They can troll faster and cover more water. They anchor fish well and across many seasons. And where the drawback to smaller blades was that the vibration was difficult to feel on the rod (in places like Tillamook), the Hydro Vibe design delivers in that arena.

The finish palette is straightforward, including the best-of-the-best, but with a twist. The blades are plated in either gold or nickel. Gold is beautifully bright. Nickel is more inclusive of the silver salmon that are an equal goal in mixed fisheries like Buoy 10. Together, the blades deliver a salmon fishing system rather than focusing exclusively on chinook.

Hydro Vibe Hoochie models, just released this month, takes a similarly advanced and unique perspective on its design. Molded acrylic head holds a high-contrast eye. Two-tone skirts are modestly dressed with both crystal flash and flashabou that radiates light and motion.

The operable question often comes down to what a person needs and with Buoy 10 around the corner, it's a good question. Red and white is a dominant blade in the fishery and a great place to begin. Chartreuse green dot is a staple for chinook. Those two deliver a really solid foundation.

My next choices would be the Gold Fire Blue Chartreuse Double Dot, Nickle Fire Blue Dot and Nickel Ice Pink Dot, again for their universal nature across chinook and coho, as well as the fact that in recent years red beads (regardless of blade finish color) have been a key component of success across a number of anglers that I trust implicitly.

On hooks, I'd pinch the barbs on the stock trebles and stop there. The VMC Perma Steel hooks are both extremely sharp and hold up to saltwater. Some will change hooks to big singles. In discussing the Buoy 10 fishery with an angler who spent three weeks there last year, his comments were very interesting. His boat lost some fish due to barbless trebles- so they switched to singles. The unfortunate point here was that they started mixing in a few bleeders on the single hooks. I believe the exact comment was, "When we had bleeders, they were on the single hooks." It runs counterintuitive to much of what we hear in regards to single hooks being better to release fish, but this angler found that single hooks were often lodged deeper in the fish, and deeper does more damage.

Without getting into the debate about hooks, run a firm drag, keep the rod loaded...and have a blast!

Comments (11)

NEUTRON wrote 4 months ago

As always, great write up. Are the blades themselves available for those who like to twist their own spinner?

oldsweng wrote 4 months ago

Would love to have those blades available on trout/kokanee sizes.

The Sailor wrote 4 months ago

Smoke and mirrors IMHO. "Hot new lures" catch more fisherman than fish. It's speed and reading the currents, can't buy that!

Carmen Macdonald wrote 4 months ago

Neutron- not at this time, just the full spinners.

Sailor- not sure where you're seeing smoke and mirrors. The Hydro Vibe is a different blade shape, just like a French blade is different than a Bear Valley is different than an Indiana is different than a Cascade. All have different characteristics and excel under different applications.
I've run these blades and they've been very good to me- I'll stand by that.

xstreme357 wrote 4 months ago

xstreme357 wrote 4 months ago

I haven't seen much released about this as far as text is concerned. I think the flash and hootchie are a bit much. Maybe one or the other but not both, I like the blade idea. It's similar to the Thumper in regards to tip action? If so, that's a good thing when spinner fishing especially Tilly! Thanks Carmen!

Vern wrote 4 months ago

I believe in science. I believe I will take two. Thank you.

Jack Smith wrote 4 months ago

Used these for Chninook on the Nushagak. The fish were impressed.

Snubber wrote 4 months ago

I believe in Science, Hootchie Spinners and Carmen's on the water observations with the LJ development team. Where are they!

BillH wrote 4 months ago

Maybe a blade with a slightly different vibration will attract a hit from a fish that has passed up others -- or maybe the other way around. We all want to hook more fish and are always ready to try a new size, shape, or color combination - it's at least good for the tackle manufacturers $$$$!!!! Frankly, I think technique and perseverance are more important than what lure you use. The key to using new or different lures is that if you believe in them, you will fish with more intensity and thus catch more fish.

askeyb wrote 2 months ago

We spent Sept 15 to 17 fishing out of Warrenton, Oregon on the Columbia River. Did really well for Coho. Lost a lot of them and released some nice native Coho. We fished anchovies and spinners. When they stopped biting Anchovy we switched to spinners. I started out using size 6 and 6 1/2 spinners. Have done great years past. Well nothing on spinners the first day. Ran into Buzz Ramsey at the Warrenton Fred Meyer's. He told me to drop down to a 5 1/2. Of course Fred's only had standard size spinners. Found a GDF Buoy 10 spinner Red and White in my box. Then bought a couple small spinners at Tackle Time. Cody Herman has told me to use green flasher with bait and red with spinners. Great advice it made the difference. We went back out Tuesday Sept 16 same green flasher Anchovy harness with fresh Anchovy. The white small Fatal Flash spinner was out fishing the GDF. Wednesday it clouded up and started to rain. We headed in with two fish. Put on our two spinner setups. Mine was KoneZone red and chrome on red plastic with the GDF B10 red and white spinner. We got into a group of Coho that kept hitting just my GDF spinner and not the other one. We limited by hooking eight Coho and landing our four needed for two 3 fish limits. The size and color did matter and sunny versus cloudy made a difference. Why I have no idea but it was awesome action with very aggressive takes. I do believe a lot of lures on the market are targeting anglers but also good companies do a lot of research and development to perfect their lures. May work great in one situation and not another. Presentation, Speed of troll or retrieve do make a difference. We caught one of our Coho on a spinner while speeded up trying to make a fast move to another slot. Couldn't believe the Coho would take that spinner doing around 4 mph.

Post a Comment

You must login to post a comment.

User Name
Password

Need an account? Register here!

CONTACT IFISH.NET | IFISH COMPLETE DIRECTORY
All information and pictures on ifish.net are © www.ifish.net
Terms of Service
All Coast Media Network 2 Cool Fishing Noreast.com Stripers247.com All Coast Ifish.net